Este - Ferrara - The Grand Tour - 2023 - CycleBlaze

May 28, 2023

Este - Ferrara

Today is more a matter of getting from A to B than cruising through scenic countryside. It is a flat ride, often on roads that aren't particularly attractive and with too many cars. The route is a zigzag in an attempt to avoid busy roads, sometimes on short stretches of single trail, sometimes on so-called bicycle paths that are too narrow with terrible surfaces. The sun is strong and shady spots are few and far between. The nicer parts of the route are on some quiet country roads and on the dike along the river Po. Nothing spectacular today but still we find points of interest along the way.

We are on our way earlier than usual, I'm not sure why, but it is good considering the heat and kilometers that lay ahead. On the streets outside our hotel is a busy scene of walkers, joggers, cyclists, runners pushing wheel chairs, kids on bikes and scooters and groups of roadies in matching jerseys. Este isponsering its annual   7 - 12- 19 km race for the 35th time, as I read on a poster. Fortunately, we are heading in another direction and don't have to deal with the crowds.

Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
The Colli Euganei recede in the distance.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Farm buildings that look deserted
Heart 3 Comment 0
Stretch on the dike
Heart 4 Comment 0
The Po isn't visible from the dike at this point.
Heart 4 Comment 0
More brilliant fields of poppies
Heart 7 Comment 2
Kirsten KaarsooWe are in Spain now and still seeing huge fields full of poppies. They seem to be in never ending blossom! Beautiful
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Poppies everywhere
Heart 7 Comment 0
Villa Miari de Cumani
Heart 7 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltGreat pictures with your bike!
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Detail from the doors
Heart 7 Comment 0
Villa Morosini (Polesella), built in the 17th century, seen from the dike.
Heart 5 Comment 0
We are now on the Ciclovia Destra Po for many kilometers.
Heart 4 Comment 0

We leave the bike path on the Po and are surprised by a decent bike path separate from the highway that takes us to Ferrara's city walls. It's now just a short distance to our hotel in a quiet street that is not far from the historic center.

Heart 6 Comment 0
Heart 5 Comment 0

Again we are lucky with our hotel. We can roll our bikes through the lobby into the courtyard behind the building. 

An elegant hotel for a very moderate price
Heart 8 Comment 0

It was a hot day and we spend our time before dinner in our room. Since we are spending two nights in Ferrara, we will have plenty of time for the city tomorrow.

Dinner at Montebello Pizza & Cucina is an experience. They specialize in gourmet pizza, but they also have other fine primi and secondi. However, the food isn't the experience. It is the table next to ours where three young couples are seated with their four little boys, all around five or six years old. I have never before heard such a racket in a restaurant. Fortunately the food is excellent, but we don't linger long.

Janos has pizza buratina
Heart 8 Comment 1
Kirsten KaarsooYou can’t beat a pizza with a buratina! 😋
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 67 km (42 miles)
Total: 907 km (563 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 7
Comment on this entry Comment 5
Scott AndersonYou’re so lucky! That bike path into Ferrara was mostly submerged a week ago.
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Gregory GarceauThe suspense is killing me. I know you will be crossing paths with those Anderson characters, but, WHEN? I have one tip for the meet-up. You and Janos should not wear your favorite cycling shirts. I know from experience that Scott will try to trick you into giving it to him. Rachael is really nice though.
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Suzanne GibsonTo Gregory GarceauI hope Rachael doesn't cast an eye on my hard earned Mont Ventoux jersey.
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Rachael AndersonTo Suzanne GibsonYou’re lucky, I only like sleeveless bike shirts! Just kidding!
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Suzanne GibsonTo Rachael AndersonPhew!
Reply to this comment
10 months ago