Cazals - Montauban - The Grand Tour - 2023 - CycleBlaze

May 18, 2023

Cazals - Montauban

Again the day dawns grey, but the wind is less and it isn't going to rain it seems. We have a bit more of the picturesque Gorges de l'Aveyron before we follow a mostly flat route to Montauban. Today is a national holiday, the Ascension of Christ, and we are aware that most shops and restaurants will be closed so we will not only be keeping our eyes pealed for good photo op's but also places to buy food.

All days now seem to start with a climb. We enter the last part of the Gorges de l'Aveyron with some more beautiful views before the valley widens. Once the scenic part is over, I don't take any more pictures until we reach Montauban. The road is flat and again I marvel at the network of small paved roads in France with almost no cars. There are houses here and there but the route is no longer scenic as we approach Montauban, a larger town.

Heart 6 Comment 0
Heart 6 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 6 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 6 Comment 0
Heart 6 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltMOOO! :) That's a great picture of the cow with its tongue sticking out! :)
Reply to this comment
9 months ago

We approach Montauban on a rail trail which makes entering the sprawling town easier than having to find our way in the warren of small streets.

The old train station
Heart 2 Comment 0

First thing in Montauban we stop for a bite to eat. We have been nibbling on a ginger bread cake, pain d'épices, all day since we found nothing along the way.  A croque monsieur and a ciabatta satisfy us for the time being and we head for the main square, la Place Nationale, Montauban's highlight. Montauban is a bastide town, one of the most impressive of southwest France, where the streets follow a grid pattern around the main square. Its arcades, once offering shelter to market traders, are now lined with cafes, restauants and souvenir shops

Heart 6 Comment 2
ann and steve maher-wearyIsn’t the main square beautiful. We sat there for a glass of wine and nibbles last fall. The restos and cafes were full and there were kids playing and riding bicycles. With the weather it probably was quiet for you. If that’s the case it is too bad. It’s raining in Provence too. I was happy to hear from Susan that you guys had terrific weather around Mt Ventoux. So fortunate!
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Suzanne GibsonAlthough it was grey and chilly, there were still plenty of people sitting in the cafes!
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 5 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 1
Kirsten KaarsooI really like this photo. It give a great idea of what it is like.
Reply to this comment
10 months ago

When we find the street to our guest house, we are not too impressed with the looks of the neighborhood. But when we enter the guesthouse, we see it was once a noble home and has been renovated beautifully. I would love to know more about the history of these streets.

Not impressed with our street
Heart 1 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltYep, don't judge a book by its cover! :)
Reply to this comment
9 months ago

I'll end my entry here and skip writing about the Ethiopean dinner experience again because pictures and text that I have saved repeatedly disappear. No idea why. Also when I delete one picture, a whole series disappears. So some pics are duplicates while others are missing. Frustrating but I'm posting the mess as is. Any one else having problems, or is it just my Samsung tablet acting up?

Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 50 km (31 miles)
Total: 591 km (367 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 7
Comment on this entry Comment 0