Castelnaudary - Carcassonne - The Grand Tour - 2023 - CycleBlaze

May 22, 2023

Castelnaudary - Carcassonne

We are hoping for a repeat of yesterday's good luck with the weather, but the rain gear is packed within easy reach. We start the  day with a search for a bank. The lodging tonight wants to see cash. It's market day in Castelnaudary, the streets are clogged and it takes a while to work our way through the narrow streets and find an ATM. In the meantime it has started to drizzle. 

Market in Castelnaudary
Heart 4 Comment 0

The first kilometers are along the Canal du Midi, starting at Castelnaudary's Grand Bassin, created as part of the complicated system regulating the water level in the canals. Shortly our route takes us away from the canal onto country roads. Today we choose not to follow the canal all the way to Carcassonne. We have a beautiful zigzag wander over hill and dale, offering fabulous views over the plains of the Lauragais. If we could only have appreciated it. The early sprinkle turns into heavy rain, a challenge for any rain gear. Eventually water finds its way into any opening. Ugh. But the most disappointing part is that the beauty of our surroundings is lost on us. 

Back on the Canal du Midi for a bit
Heart 5 Comment 0
Castelnaudary's Grand Bassin
Heart 3 Comment 0
It would have been lovely.
Heart 5 Comment 1
Scott AndersonIt still is, if not quite enjoyable.
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Either before or after the heavy rain
Heart 10 Comment 0

The last ten kilometers of the day are again along the Canal du Midi, as that seemed the best route to approach our lodgings. I knew it wouldn't be paved but hoped for a comfortable hard packed surface. Hope is not a good strategy when planning. The surface is chunky loose gravel with plenty of big puddles. Ironically it stops raining and the sun comes out when there isn't much to see or take pictures of. I'm concentrating on the path.

Heart 5 Comment 0

Tomorrow will be our last day cycling in France. Will it be a wet one or a dry one?

Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 47 km (29 miles)
Total: 759 km (471 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 11
Comment on this entry Comment 6
Susan CarpenterHope it’s a dry one🤞
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Kirsten KaarsooTo Susan CarpenterI second that comment Susan.
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Rachael AndersonSorry about the rain. I hope tomorrow is better.
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Rich FrasierOh no! I’m just catching up on journals and I see that you’re in Carcassonne! So close, and we missed you! I’ve been so busy getting our tour organized that I haven’t been checking any journals recently. I had no idea you were coming our way!

I’m so sorry! It would have been so nice to meet face to face, but we’re in Provence now on our own tour…
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Rich HarrellDang! Am I late to the game!
What a beautiful tour you are having -- very much enjoyed following along up to this point.
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Suzanne GibsonTo Rich FrasierSome day somewhere we are sure to meet!
Reply to this comment
10 months ago