First Day in France - French Fling - CycleBlaze

April 26, 2019

First Day in France

Not having fun yet

The flights were uneventful and our bags were on the carousel by the time we got there. So far, so good.  Now to find the hotel shuttle...

In 2017, when we stayed at the Holiday Inn Express near the Geneva airport, we found our way to the hotel shuttle zone and waited for the appropriately-marked van. This morning at CDG, we followed signs through the airport (a very long way, it seemed) to the hotel shuttle area, where we learned that the service is offered via colour-coded bus routes.  The black route was the only one with a Holiday Inn logo, so we took that.  We got down at the Holiday Inn and discovered that this was not the Holiday Inn Express.  We needed to get back on the shuttle and return to the airport to take the CDGVAL train to the “Parking PR” stop and walk a couple hundred metres.  Why this information was not included on the “details for your upcoming stay” email I don’t know.

I could not get onto the free airport wifi so checking the website was out. When I looked later, the instructions were there in French but the English verbiage only stated that there was a free shuttle.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We saw no signs for the Holiday Inn Express until we were actually on the CDGVAL platform. The family booking in just ahead of us had had the same problem. However, once we got here, it’s quite nice—except there’s not much around. 

We settled in, showered, and returned to the airport to enquire about train tickets to Bordeaux and hopefully find the FreeMobile vending machine. Our luck went further down. ALL trains on Sunday from Paris to Bordeaux were ‘complet’ until quite late in the day.  Apparently there’s some holiday?  We ended up getting tickets for a train leaving Gare Montparnasse around 5 p.m.  For some reason our bikes need to stay in their cases for this, leading to the problem of getting our bike cases and duffels to Gare Montparnasse from CDG.  It would be so much easier to ride them there!  So we will have to either waste the day near the airport or go into Paris early on Sunday, return to the hotel get our stuff, and make a second trip into the city.  We will be exhausted by the time we get to Bordeaux. 

As for a FreeMobile SIM card, well, I’ll have to try again tomorrow. 

Another day with no photos!   But then, I don’t really want to remember this day except to learn from my mistakes.

Rate this entry's writing Heart 5
Comment on this entry Comment 3
Scott AndersonOh, yuk! I hesitated to vote for a write up of such a crappy day - what a discouraging way to arrive. I’m so sorry.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Jacquie GaudetI tell myself it can only get better!
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Kathleen ClassenIt will get better! There is nothing more frustrating, especially when tired, than to be dragging boxed bikes around. They are so darn awkward.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago