Another Day in Les Eyzies - French Fling - CycleBlaze

May 4, 2019

Another Day in Les Eyzies

The Musée and a ride

We went to the Musée National de Préhistoire this morning.  Some museums I can spend all day in, but not this one.  Hundreds (thousands?) of stone tools that all appear almost the same.  Academic descriptions of each group of finds but no simple overview of the timeline of prehistory and how they might fit together.  It was not anything like the Royal Tyrrell Museum in Drumheller...  I'm very glad we visited the caves yesterday because even the cave art displays were rather boring.

In the museum. I liked this prehistoric moose--much more interesting than case after display case of almost identical stone tools.
Heart 0 Comment 0
At the museum. The famous statue of "l'Homme Primitif" by Paul Dardé (1931).
Heart 0 Comment 0
At the museum. The famous statue of "l'Homme Primitif" by Paul Dardé (1931).
Heart 0 Comment 0
This beautiful moth was almost 10 cm across
Heart 0 Comment 0

It was time for a ride so we did a loop through St-Cyprien and Campagne with a side trip to Tayac.  Green countryside and nice views, even with a bit of rain.  Tea in Les Eyzies followed by a couple of hours lazing in our room, though Al did take the opportunity to oil the chains.  Happily, the bikes stayed dry when the rain passed through. 

One of the things I love about cycling in France (in Europe, really) is coming around a corner to sights like this
Heart 0 Comment 0
A closer look at the château
Heart 0 Comment 0
The alternate route from Le Bugue to Les Éyzies
Heart 0 Comment 0
The fortified church at Tayac
Heart 0 Comment 0
Inside the fortified church at Tayac
Heart 0 Comment 0

When we ventured out for dinner, we noticed again how DEAD this town is.  There were a few people out on the street (yes, singular) on Thursday evening, but Friday and Saturday have been very quiet.  Several of the restaurants that were open on Thursday were closed last night and tonight and the few that are open (3? 4?) are actually quite busy indoors because it's too cold to sit outside.  The place we ate tonight has heaters over the outdoor tables so a few diehard smokers were sitting outside while the indoor tables were full.

I'm so glad I brought my down jacket.  It's getting a lot of use!

Heart 0 Comment 1
Keith ClassenHi Jacquie - last year I didn’t bother bringing my down vest. I brought it this trip and glad I did. Tomorrow’s forecast is 3 degrees in the morning going up to 8 in the afternoon. May even have wear my long thermal tights tomorrow. Enjoying following along with you two.
Keith
Reply to this comment
4 years ago

Today's ride: 35 km (22 miles)
Total: 221 km (137 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 0