Sintra to Lisbon - Livin' the Dream: France to Portugal 2021 - CycleBlaze

November 4, 2021

Sintra to Lisbon

Today we are going to Lisbon, the last stop on this ten week trip.  Our chosen route with RideswGPS started with a steep climb out of Sintra, close again to Pena Palace, the "renowned jewel in the crown of the Sintra Hills", we will have to come back to tour this impressive and colourful castle next time.   

Then it was 12 km of downhill to the coast, great fun even though we were on the busy N9 highway.  We zoomed along, hardly peddling, almost keeping up with the cars and in no time we were in Estoril where we came to a brightly painted bike path.  We haven't seen one for ages.  It was blissful.  Of course it eventually disappeared but with RideswGPS we cycled our way through quiet Estoril neighbourhoods until we arrived at the Praia De Torre Beach.  Captivated by the sun shining on the water, swimmers, a kayaker and a ship going by, we sat down for our last picnic of the tour.

Other cycle blogs had prepared us for some challenges getting to the outskirts of Lisbon but also said that for much of the way from Estoril to Belem there is a dedicated bike path beside the water.  Excited to experience this entrance into the city, we soon packed up and set off.  Almost immediately we found the trail and joined many other cyclists and walkers enjoying an unusual balmy November afternoon along the waterfront.  One difficulty of cycling in Portugal is the lack of signage and even this route into the capital had quite a few spots that had us scratching our heads as the bike path just ends with no indication of where we should go or how to find where the path starts up again.  

Starting at Lisbon's first major tourist attraction, the Belem Tower, the official, 17 km waterfront promenade along the Tagus River begins. In the cloudless sunny weather we cycled by the monument to Maritime Explorers, under the humming suspension Bridge that looks just like San Francisco's Golden Gate, past the MATT museum and numerous restaurants, cafés and bars.  And so many people out enjoying a beautiful Thursday afternoon.  Riding into the glorious Praça do Comércio, the largest square in Lisbon, gave us a sense of arrival, but no, our hotel is on a hilltop so we had to navigate one last set of winding, narrow streets before we could rest.  

In the end the ride was easier than expected and we are keen to spend a few days in this beautiful city.

After many days riding on the roads we were so happy to be on the brand new, separate bike path
Heart 3 Comment 1
Scott AndersonYes, this would be nice to see alright. 25 years after the fact, we still look back on Lisbon as the most difficult city we’ve ever biked into.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Back at the coast for lunch. Three people were swimming while we put our windbreakers on to eat.
Heart 7 Comment 0
A lovely section of bike path right by the sea.
Heart 6 Comment 0
At the Monument to the Explorers
Heart 5 Comment 0
At the Belem tower.
Heart 6 Comment 0
Bridge over the Tagus River
Heart 5 Comment 0
At last we are at the Plaça Commercial in the heart of Lisbon.
Heart 5 Comment 0
The decanter of port in our hotel room was a nice touch.
Heart 3 Comment 3
Kelly MaherSweet! Enjoy your last few days! 🤗
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
ann and steve maher-wearyYes, enjoying Natas and Port again tonight ! See you soon !
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Kathy GrebencA great adventure for 10 weeks! I have a story about that Port which I can share when you get home. Continued safe travels to you both.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago

Today's ride: 53 km (33 miles)
Total: 2,319 km (1,440 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 7
Comment on this entry Comment 15
Brent IrvineCongratulations on your arrival to Lisbon. I am not sure of your hotel's location, but may I suggest a highly-recommended tiny restaurant that my wife and I visited a couple of years ago. Ha Tapas No Mercado. If you read the reviews you will see how they love what they do, how they present it and how they source supplies from small family businesses. Absolutely delightful!
Even if not, enjoy Lisbon!!!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Lyle McLeodGreat trip and even better journal. Thoroughly enjoyed vicariously travelling along with you, the Spain and Portugal sections in particular. Neither of these countries have been high on our radar, but after the depiction of your experience of them, they are now! Safe travels back home.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Suzanne GibsonSorry to see your trip coming to an end, but at least there will be a few more days and pictures from Lisbon.I have enjoyed your interest in achitecture and many photos.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
ann and steve maher-wearyTo Lyle McLeodThanks for the encouragement. We have had a fabulous time. We look forward to reading about your next trip.
We enjoyed your Copenhagen to tip of Italy trip. We had hoped to follow in your footsteps for the southern Italy section at least but Covid changed our plans to this itinerary. We will do Italy soooon.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
ann and steve maher-wearyTo Suzanne GibsonThanks for your encouragement. To be honest we were quite nervous about writing the blog but the support of readers has encouraged us to keep writing every day. We have had a fabulous trip. Yes the Lisbon pics are coming. Thank you !
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
ann and steve maher-wearyTo Brent IrvineThanks for following our blog. Thank you for the restaurant suggestion. It was actually quite close to where we had to go for our pre flight Covid test, alas it wasn’t open on Sundays.
Enjoy your trip to Portugal. We look forward to reading your blog.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Rich FrasierA great trip and journal! Thanks for letting us follow along. Every journal I read seems to add to my list of future touring locations, and yours is no exception. We’re not strong riders like you but some of the areas you’ve been to look irresistible. It will be fun to figure out how to visit them at our lower speed.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Brent IrvineTo ann and steve maher-wearyGood morning. How did the covid testing process go? Would you mind doing a little rundown? I think this requirement might be cancelled by May but in case not, I am curious to know. Thanks.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Rachael AndersonCongratulations you made it! We will miss reading your journal and will anxiously await your next one.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Brent IrvineI’ll pipe in here to give a report from another country because I forgot to mention it in our report. We’re back home today after flying back from Rome yesterday. You have to have a negative test taken within three days before departure to board a plane to the US. We got rapid antigen tests at a lab in Viterbo on Friday, for 15 euros each. Very easy, once we found a facility to perform the test. We were there about a half hour and walked out with our results. And yes, the airlines asked to see them when we checked in, and refused boarding for someone who didn’t have one.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Scott AndersonYou’re leaving your bikes there? It’s starting to sound like you two are getting serious about this traveling thing. We’ll look forward to following along. I’m sure southern Portugal in the spring will be amazing.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
ann and steve maher-wearyTo Brent IrvineMorning Brent
First of all with the news in the last day or so that you soon won't need a test to come back into Canada you should be fine for the spring. The hotel booked us in a clinic just a couple of metro stops away. You go with your passport and 100 Euros they do the test and send the results to you within 24 hours. There are lots of places to do it in the city. We got it done on a Sunday so any day works.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
ann and steve maher-wearyTo Scott AndersonHi Scott,
Yes we are excited too! I hope the cases don't start rising in Portugal. They have a high vaccination rate, fingers crossed. Just read your blog and Elizabeth is hoping to go. Great country to visit, I hope her trip goes ahead.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
ann and steve maher-wearyTo Rachael AndersonThanks Rachel, I have so enjoyed reading your blog and the pics and the videos. I really get a sense of where you are and enjoying thinking if we might do your route some day. Enjoy Portand, you will be heading south soon. I am in New Brunswick with my parents. Steve is in Quebec with his parents. Time now to be with family and time to plan the next adventure, hopefully in the spring.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
ann and steve maher-wearyTo Rich FrasierHi Rich and Robin
Thank you, I enjoy reading your blogs too. I am intrigued at how you made the decision to move to France! Wow! And Limoux sounds perfect: close to the Pyrenees, Carcassonne, Spain! Sounds divine.
We still must write our epilogue to give our final thoughts on the trip. We are already thinking about the spring.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago