Salamanca - Livin' the Dream: France to Portugal 2021 - CycleBlaze

October 13, 2021 to October 14, 2021

Salamanca

Salamanca is another city that came highly recommended, but it has surpassed all expectations.  From that first ride into the old city, late at night looking for our Apart hotel, we were in love with this place. 

It was still cold at 8:30 on our first morning as the sun had not penetrated the narrow alleys and curving streets as we walked, trying to get oriented but continuously getting lost among the beautiful old sandstone buildings.  The University (founded in the 13thC) is spread out through the old city, bringing a youthful, student energy to Salamanca.   We walked over the 1stC Roman bridge, admired numerous churches and convents, sat in squares studying the map, soaking up the sunshine and watching the people.  Fortunately, the old city is compact and car free so whenever we came upon a road with traffic, we knew we were off course and to turn around.  By the end of the day we had our bearings and settled into a prime table in the Plaza Mayor with wine and nibbles, planning what to see in detail the next day.

Glad we had a second full day, we spent hours touring the two cathedrals with the audio guides and then climbed the bell tower for amazing views of the insides and outside details of the cathedral and, of course, the city spread out in all directions.  At one point, Ann asked "How can we try to describe this experience?"  But we cannot think of the words to do it any justice.  We hope the photos give you an impression.

Tomorrow we are back on the bikes for a serious 100km ride across the Spanish plain.  It will be our longest ride yet, but gentler than the coast. We hope the wind is with us.

University in morning light
Heart 3 Comment 0
Roman Bridge
Heart 3 Comment 0
New cathedral side door
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
St Esteban church
Heart 3 Comment 0
Drinks at the plaza
Heart 3 Comment 0
Is this Frosh week??
Heart 1 Comment 0
New cathedral
Heart 3 Comment 0

Old cathedral
Heart 0 Comment 0
View from bell tower
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Drinks at the plaza day 2
Heart 2 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 7
Comment on this entry Comment 3
Scott AndersonIt’s wonderful reading about your experience and how much you’re enjoying this journey. Have a great ride to Rodrigo!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Suzanne GibsonSame here, I am enjoying your experience so much.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
bill wearyLOVE the monarch butterflies (or flutterbyes - far more sensible name - as my friend Emmy calls them!)
And enjoyed the street scene of the students and the marvellous Roman bridge and the cathedral with its intricate carvings BUT really the icing on the whole cake was that enchanting voice of the busker - I hope you gave her a fortune!!!!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago