Paulliac to Plage Carcans - Livin' the Dream: France to Portugal 2021 - CycleBlaze

September 20, 2021

Paulliac to Plage Carcans

A complete change of scene in 48 km.

The day started with 15 km winding through vineyards before we stopped to pick up food for lunch at an artfully signed artisanal bakery in Saint-Laurent-Médoc.  It was the busiest spot in town as people lined up outside for their morning croissants and baguettes.  We imagined that even the residents of the chateaux we passed made their morning pilgrimage to this successful spot.

Out of wine country, we rode almost a straight line for 20 kms on smooth pavement, first through equestrian farms, then fields of corn and a gas-ethanol plant, then a series of managed forests with trees all in rows and all the same height and the whole time only one car passed us.  Finally, there was a picnic table in Carcans where got to eat our delicious bakery lunch.

Leaving town we followed the signs to a dedicated bike trail all the way to the coast. Cruising past all the sailboats on Lac de Hourtin in the resort town of Maubuisson, Steve briefly considered renting a Hobie cat for the afternoon, and we would have had the lake to ourselves as, amazingly, the beach was deserted on a 25 degree day.  For the final stretch,the landscape changed again for the best ride of the day, downhill through pine forest right to Plage Carcan.

Oh my gosh what a beach!  It's hard to believe the vineyards are only 45km across the peninsula.

Heart 1 Comment 0
Lake Hourtin
Heart 0 Comment 0
Lake Hourtin
Heart 2 Comment 0
Plages Carcans
Heart 3 Comment 0
Plage Carcans
Heart 8 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 48 km (30 miles)
Total: 801 km (497 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 8
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Margaret Anne CameronSounds like a perfect day. Impressed by the trail!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
ann and steve maher-wearyTo Margaret Anne CameronHi Marg,
Yes. Steve just suggested we should say what our top three days are so far. This day would be one of the three.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago