Lekeitio to Mundaka - Livin' the Dream: France to Portugal 2021 - CycleBlaze

October 7, 2021

Lekeitio to Mundaka

Today was a continuation of cycling on this superb route.  Yes, first thing in the morning it is hard to cycle uphill, but the rewards are worth it.  Once up near the clouds (oh, there are no clouds), we looked back at the coast and Lekeitio.  We climbed to the town of Ispaster then sped downhill to EA for our incentive to get up this morning's climb, our first coffees of the day and second breakfasts.  As there were only pintxos available in the small bar/cafe, Ann asked if they might warm up the tortillas, one of Spain's authentic dishes which are made with eggs and potatoes.   The bartender was a taken back by the request but gamely put them in the microwave.  Oh my goodness, warmed, they were to die for with the goat cheese and creme fraîche sliding out the sides.  Washed down with two rounds of cafe con leche and we were ready to go!

Fortified we headed up a killer hill again (and why we indulged in several coffees and tortillas) to Natixtua, before revelling in the long-anticipated downhill on a wonderful surprise -a paved walking/biking trail to Laga Beach, one of the most popular, and isolated, beaches in the Basque Country.  We stopped to walk along it and get our feet wet. We would happily of stayed but being a protected area there are no places to stay.  

We had entered the Urdaibai Biosphere Reserve, a vast protected land that encompasses this dramatic coast line and exceptional wetlands of the Mundakako Estuary.  After leaving Laga Beach we rounded Cape Ogono and could see our final destination of the day, a mere 2km across the estuary but a 22km ride down one side and up the other to get there. 

Since Laga Beach we were still on this fabulous paved bike/walking trail to well beyond Kanala.  We even met a road crew lengthening it further.  What an outstanding decision to make this route accessible to the public other than just for motorized vehicles.

At the bottom of the estuary we rode through Guernica, stopping for coffees and snacks before the final push, 12km up the other side of the estuary to Mundaka, on a rolling bike trail most of way. 

The views today were spectacular: outstanding rugged coast line, vibrant estuary teaming with bird life, surfers, fishing boats and the never ending rolling, mesmerizing waves.  We had blue sky, warm sunshine and no wind.  What a gift to be here.

On to Mundaka and a cute hotel right in the centre of town looking out on the harbour.  We had dinner in the hotel dining room and called it a wrap for a fab day.

Up the hill, thankfully no trucks on this part of the road
Heart 1 Comment 0
Solid church in Ipaster with a covered porch on 3 sides. Could be for a market? Or pilgrims resting?
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 2
Jacquie GaudetLovely shade! I'm going to vote for pilgrim shelter.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
ann and steve maher-wearyTo Jacquie GaudetYes, you are probably right.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
The old bridge in Ea.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Ride with GPS suggests unpaved sections through the woods that often cut off a busier section of road.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Laga beach. Possibly the most beautiful on this trip of gorgeous beaches.
Heart 6 Comment 1
Scott AndersonThis is such an amazing spot. I’d love to come back this way again.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Looking across to Mundaka
Heart 0 Comment 0
Bike path along the estuary
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Looking back towards Laga from Mundaka.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The most compact hotel room yet.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 51 km (32 miles)
Total: 1,334 km (828 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 7
Comment on this entry Comment 0