Getaria - Livin' the Dream: France to Portugal 2021 - CycleBlaze

October 5, 2021

Getaria

Everything we had read said that Getaria was well worth a visit and, despite the weather, we can now add our votes to that claim.  

We had booked for two nights into the charming but somewhat faded old world Zarautz Hotel as it was half the price of anything in Getaria, and planned to ride the 3 km over the next day.  As forecast, it was raining so we lingered over the the hotel breakfast then donned our rain gear and headed out.  The road follows the coast and is quite busy, so we slowly rode on the separate walkway that hangs over the sea side, looked pedestrian only, but had no signs prohibiting bicycles and almost no pedestrians on a rainy Tuesday in October.  Even in the rain the views were lovely.  We parked the bikes just outside city hall and were surprised when a window opened and a policewoman shouted out in our direction, but were relieved to hear the delivery driver behind us respond.  He continued his delivery so he must have had a good excuse, or else he counted on her not wanting to go outside in the rain!  

The narrow alleys were deserted and we strolled along reading historical plaques describing the exploits of Basque sailors from Getaria since the 15th C and climbed up to the old lighthouse for a better view.  Having worked up an appetite we found a pleasant sidewalk restaurant and ordered two fish meals with a water and a white wine.  We protested when he brought a bottle of each but he insisted they were included in the 20€ prix fixe so we indulged and sat for two hours eating and drinking.

After lunch it was still raining so we put our coats back on and slowly rode home to Zarautz for a nap.  By 6:30pm we were hungry but not wanting a picnic supper in the rain, we read and relaxed until 8:30 when the hotel restaurant opened.  The 1st course alone was enough of a meal but we still managed to eat our mains and the desert.  Waddling off to bed, we vowed to figure a way to eat more moderately as we get accustomed to hotel living.

The beach coming into Getaria
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 3
Karen Quinnyou are a life saver!!! We are in the middle of planning our kitchen reno and we found a 'wood grain look' for the lower cabinets and the island. We were stuck with what to put on the floor as we did not want tile. this picture said it all!!! We went out and bought a lighter colour 'wood grain' floor covering and after seeing this picture we know it will work. Well done Ann and Steve!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
ann and steve maher-wearyTo Karen QuinnGlad we made your day! You make ours too for checking out the blog. Can’t wait to see your new kitchen!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Patrick O'HaraHa ha. We have almost the same picture in our journal. Enjoying your journal.

https://www.cycleblaze.com/journals/portugalspainfrance/zarautz-to-bilbao/
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Church doors, except this entrance isn’t used.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The church floor slopes away from the pulpit.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Tomorrow’s ride. Do we go on the highway along the coast or on back roads across the top?
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
A lone surfer still out in Zarautz
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 16 km (10 miles)
Total: 1,229 km (763 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 6
Comment on this entry Comment 0