Coimbra to Nazare - Livin' the Dream: France to Portugal 2021 - CycleBlaze

November 1, 2021

Coimbra to Nazare

There are more places we would like to visit before we leave Portugal and the only way we are going to make it to these spots, in our few remaining days, is with a little help from trains.  This morning it meant an early departure to catch thé train from Coimbra to Valado, which covered a full day's ride in 1.5 hours.  Then we had an easy 6 km to Nazare, and arrived with most of the day and loads of energy left to enjoy this well-known beach resort.   It wasn't until we got to Nazare that we realized why it was so quiet leaving Coimbra this morning, November 1st is All Saints Day, a national holiday in Portugal.  

Nazare was humming with people when we arrived.  It was a beautiful day and it seemed all of Portugal was out enjoying a warm holiday Monday this late in the season, walking on the promenade, playing in the sand and sitting in cafes.   After checking in to a hotel right on the beach, we walked through the maze of the lower town's small streets and alleys to the funicular.   Nazare also has an upper town.  Picture yourself on the wide Nazare beach facing the sea, to the right is an impressive headland, and on top of it sits Nazare's upper town called Sitio.  To residents, taking the funicular is like taking the bus, it's a little over a euro and the easiest way to travel back and forth to school, work, etc between the upper and lower towns; and a great way for tourists to experience both parts of Nazare.

The views from Sitio down to the beach and lower town are wonderful.  We walked through the upper town square past stalls, stores and restaurants as we slowly made our way to the Nazare Fortress that sits at the end of the cliff with a shear drop off to the sea below.   Nazare's major attractions are waves and surfing.  Standing at the fort you look south to see the gorgeous beach and lower town, but then if you turn and look up the coast you see the famous Praia do Norte.  Surfers come from around the world to surf here.  The biggest beach breaking waves in the world at 30 meters have been measured on the Praia do Norte.  The waves were nowhere near record size today, but still the views and sensations of being at this spot are amazing.  We joined the crowd of people perched along ledges or rocky outcrops to watch the waves and surfers.  

Later, after walking down, we sat on the balcony of our hotel and watched the sun set with a glass of wine and hors d'œuvres before a light supper that left room for a visit to a a gelateria on the way home.  

Perhaps because there aren't many days left days, that our last stop on the coast has been super special. 

Old style fishing boats
Heart 6 Comment 0
A contemporary take on traditional tiles
Heart 4 Comment 0
Nazare lower town and beach
Heart 5 Comment 0
The road to the fort welcoming visitors
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Watching the surf on the Praia do Norte.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Big waves photo from 2020 surf competition. Credit The Guardian.
Heart 2 Comment 0
2020 surf competition Credit Gulf News.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Better weather, smaller waves than above
Heart 2 Comment 0
Sitio church
Heart 3 Comment 0
Market square at Sitio
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 6 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Happy Hour!
Heart 3 Comment 2
Kelly MaherWhat a beautiful picture of you Annie!💕
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
ann and steve maher-wearyThanks Kel, one day left !
Reply to this comment
2 years ago

Today's ride: 20 km (12 miles)
Total: 2,216 km (1,376 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 7
Comment on this entry Comment 3
Scott AndersonThis post brings back a flood of 25 year old memories and makes me envious - Nazare 25 years ago was one of my favorite spots in Portugal, but we only stopped for a snack break and continued on for a long, hard day. Back then Nazare was very quiet and its back streets were filled with old women in the traditional black dress.

The big event of the day though was that Rachael got a flat tire here. I fixed her well by flipping the bike upside down on the sand to repair the flat, and apparently kicked sand into her derailleur. It broke it, and she rode the rest of the way to Lisbon with only a single gear in the back.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
ann and steve maher-wearyTo Scott AndersonYou will have to go to Nazare again ! I am sure it is much different than when you were there.
Rachel didn’t cycle Nazare to Lisbon in one day with her gears not working ?? If she did she deserves a medal! I know you did longer distances on your trips when you were still working but that would be too long a day!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Scott AndersonTo ann and steve maher-wearyNot that long (and we started the day in Leiria), but definitely too long, difficult and stressful. We ended at Praia de Santa Cruz after stopping first at Obidos and biked in to Lisbon the next day. That day (https://www.cycleblaze.com/journals/lisbon1997/to-praia-de-santa-cruz/) and the next were two of the hardest days we’ve spent together. It took almost 20 years before she’d agree to go anywhere near Portugal again.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago