Ciudad Rodrigo - Livin' the Dream: France to Portugal 2021 - CycleBlaze

October 16, 2021

Ciudad Rodrigo

After a big day on the bikes yesterday, today we aired out the cycling gear and walked around Cuidad Rodrigo, a fortified town close to the Portuguese border. 

C Rodrigo is the perfect size to explore in a day of wandering the narrow alleyways and walking the ramparts that circle the old town's 12th Century cathedral, 15th and 16th century casas (houses), museums and monuments. 

We started at the tourist office to pick up a map.  The young man at the desk struggled bravely in English but required gestures and circles drawn on the map to indicate the castle, churches and chapels we must see.  He also gave us a flyer about a unique museum with Spain's largest collection of chamber pots (yes, what our grandparents kept under the bed before indoor plumbing). Maybe next time ...

Having hit all the must-sees in the morning, we left the fortified centre to get groceries for tomorrow.   Shopping for fruit at the central market we were drawn to the crowd at one end who were lining up for sandwiches.  With so many restaurants in town, we took it as a sign the food at this little market stall must be good, so we joined the line.  The table in the parking lot was definitely not charming, but the sandwiches were delicious, our fellow diners provided a jovial, homey, ambiance, and the cost of 2 rounds of freshly grilled squid sandwiches, wine and beer was less than we had paid for coffee,toast and orange juice in the square for breakfast. 

When is Spain, afternoons are for siestas, after which, to wake up, more coffees in the Plaza Major.  Sometimes it is worth the extra expense for an incredible view and ambiance!  Oh and the patisseries were sublime. 

Tomorrow we’ll be in Portugal!

Roman bridge into the city
Heart 6 Comment 0
Lovely old buildings. This one is re-purposed as a pharmacy.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The old market square
Heart 3 Comment 0
Cathedral from the ramparts
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Steve looking onto the Plaza Major from the balcony of our hotel
Heart 4 Comment 0
The Plaza Major in morning
Heart 5 Comment 0
On the ramparts looking SW towards Portugal
Heart 3 Comment 0
The plaza at night
Heart 5 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 8
Comment on this entry Comment 4
Scott AndersonLike so many places we visited when we were still working, I wish we’d have had more time. We just spent one night here, with time to walk part of the walls at the end of a long day.

Are you going up to Garda?
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Brent IrvineThis definitely looks like a town I have to visit. Your trip is definitely having me consider a change to my spring plans!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
ann and steve maher-wearyYes, beautiful town, smaller than Salamanca for sure but beautiful churches, monuments and vistas walking around on the walls. And not expensive
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
ann and steve maher-wearyTo Scott AndersonHi Scott, no not this time. We just posted today's ride. It was terrific- smooth roads, little traffic and cycling through the Duro Nature Reserve was wonderful. The scrub land, vistas, rock walls and the ride down and then out of the valley with the Agueda River at the bottom was beautiful. Tomorrow we are off to Trancoso. Cheers
Reply to this comment
2 years ago