Carcans to Cap Ferret - Livin' the Dream: France to Portugal 2021 - CycleBlaze

September 24, 2021

Carcans to Cap Ferret

Grateful for chance encounters, pine forests and park benches with a view.

After three peaceful days in paradise, it was time to move on.  We've noted that it is getting to be a month already since we arrived and there has not been a lot of peddling of late.   Today we plan to get some km in.

Oops, how come after 10 km we were making our first stop of the day at the bakery in Lacanau Ocean; it was certainly busier than Carcans and we fit in better with the more mature age group than the surfer crowd we left behind.  While enjoying our snack a couple stopped to look at our fully loaded bikes and soon we were chatting with fellow cycle tourers.   Last week they circumnavigated Lake Constance which they described as almost crowded with cyclists, many on ebikes.   It's not so busy here, we all agreed. 

We were undecided if we should ride all the way around the Arcachon basin or go straight to Cap Ferret and take the ferry.   Our new friends were unequivocal: Stay on the Cap Ferret side, camp at le Truc Vert, but ride over to the basin at sunset for a glass of wine with a view of the Dune de Pilate.

We had quite a few miles to go, so we sped off and spent the day cycling on paved paths under the pine forest as we wound our way south.  Delightful!  

With only one missed turn that added a few more delightful kms to the day, we arrived at our campsite around 4pm.  

By then we had hatched a plan to watch the sunset over dinner that we would cook ourselves at a handy picnic spot.   Not as easy as we thought because the closest grocery store was a 5 km side trip Le Canon and then we still had to find the perfect spot to have our supper "with a view".   After a couple of false starts, we finally found the Plage de la Vigne and marina with a view and a bench.   We had made it just in time, the sun shone for a few minutes, then set on the dune, the boats bobbed in the water as we toasted the view, our day, and the luck of meeting fellow cyclists with local insight of how to best see their corner of the world.  We made it back to camp just as darkness fell. 

Tomorrow we'll take a ferry to Arcachon and see if we can get up close and maybe even climb Europe's biggest dune.

The trail was originally built by the WWII German army for troop movement but is now maintained for bicycle travel.
Heart 5 Comment 1
Scott AndersonThis looks wonderful. We’ve never seen this part of France west of Bordeaux.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Heart 5 Comment 0
Whimsical church architecture in Cap Ferret.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Cheers!
Heart 10 Comment 0
Bench with a view of the basin, perfect for a picnic supper.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 75 km (47 miles)
Total: 876 km (544 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 8
Comment on this entry Comment 3
Margaret Anne CameronRead your most recent posting tonight. Can’t believe you have 4 weeks in already. We did the Cabot trail last week by car and arrived in Halifax on Friday. Hiked the skyline trail in CB and Gaff point trail near Lunenbourg at Hirtles Beach. So nice to be retired! Take care. Will read more enroute to NB. Love ya MA
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Rob WearyBeautiful pine trees and beautiful views for sure! I'm glad you guys are enjoying the other side of the Atlantic. The beaches, sand dunes, and fishing boats seem picturesque!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
ann and steve maher-wearyTo Margaret Anne CameronWe too can’t believe it is a month already. Thanks for reading Marg and sending along your insightful messages. Thanks a bunch.
Exciting to here of your travels in CB and hikes you took. Yes isn’t great to be retired!!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago