Bilbao Guggenheim - Livin' the Dream: France to Portugal 2021 - CycleBlaze

October 11, 2021

Bilbao Guggenheim

It took us most of the morning to get back on track after yesterday’s bad news.  Our grand plan included taking a train from Bilbao, 400 km across the plateau to Salamanca. Yesterday I went in to the station to get tickets only to be told, first, there are no direct trains to Salamanca and, second, that bicycles must be packed in special carry-on bags, not a box, on any medium or long distance train in Spain.  

Online searches showed some possibilities with bus companies so we made our way over to the bus station, which being underground, we didn't recognize and rode past a couple of times. Eventually, it all worked out and we ended up with tickets on an express bus to Salamanca with bicycles and a confirmation they will sell us the packing bags needed for 12€.  We got the last two tickets for tomorrow’s bus, but the seats are not together. The 5 hour trip will be the longest we have been apart since leaving Canada!

In the afternoon we experienced the Guggenheim. Wow!  Being an enthusiastic fan of architecture with a modest appreciation of modern art, the Guggenheim in Bilbao was a must-see for Steve. It was everything I expected and more, whatever words I think of seem inadequate to describe the sensory experience.  With its dramatically different aesthetic, it certainly compares to the visual grandeur of any château we saw in France or the Grand Theatre in Bordeaux.  I just hope it holds up over time.

Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
The red arch is actually art and not necessary engineering.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The Koons puppy is closed for renovations
Heart 0 Comment 1
Scott AndersonPuppy is down for repairs? That’s so sad!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Experiential art
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
A spider just like the one at the National Gallery in Ottawa
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 22 km (14 miles)
Total: 1,410 km (876 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 8
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Oliver ZielkeBeautiful craft architecture. Have you seen many/any folks touring on E-bikes? We could not do these hills as you are--RESPECT!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
ann and steve maher-wearyTo Oliver ZielkeNobody touring on e-bikes in Spain and only a few in France. But in 2018 we saw lots in Germany and Holland.
You could get used to the hills, just go slow, and the coffee is fabulous.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago