Vaison la Romaine to Orpierre: A long hot day - France - CycleBlaze

June 18, 2018

Vaison la Romaine to Orpierre: A long hot day

Today was a long hot day. The totals were 102km and 5200ft of climbing. There were two climbs early that were not too bad but the last one was tough mostly because it occurred at 90km and it was hot. The last climb was about 4km at 7% but we rode 30km before it at 1-3% all the way. We rode through a part of Provence that I have not see before and is a much less frequented by tourists. Nonetheless it was a beautiful ride. Tonight we are staying in a lovely small hotel in the middle of nowhere and they make their own beer that is great.

Vaison la Romaine as we left this morning over the Roman bridge on the right side of the photo.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Col #1today
Heart 0 Comment 0
Mt Ventoux this AM.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We passed several olive groves.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Today’s second climb. Although it says 5% I saw a lot of 6-7%.
Heart 0 Comment 0
My fellow riders on the way up passing through one of many hairpin turns.
Heart 0 Comment 0
At the top of the second Col for the day
Heart 0 Comment 0
Finally some of the famous Provence lavender.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Among the lavender plants.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Riding up the Gorge de St May.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A baby goat
Heart 0 Comment 0
Part of a small domesticated goat herd. Cheese on the hoof.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our group gathered for the nightly meeting before dinner.
Heart 0 Comment 0
An old still used for making beer.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our hotel that was out in the middle of nowhere. It was quite lovely with good food and great beer.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This is the hamlet where we stayed. The in and out of town signs are only about 400m apart.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The various craft beers at the bar. They had several on tap but stuck to the blond.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 102 km (63 miles)
Total: 1,417 km (880 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0