Saint-Afrique to Meyrueis: The Viaduct de Millau - France - CycleBlaze

June 12, 2018

Saint-Afrique to Meyrueis: The Viaduct de Millau

We left Saint-Afrique for Meyrueis via the Tarn Gorge. We rode the Tarn valley yesterday where the river was wide and muddy however in the gorge it was much a narrower and clear. We had a 5km climb right at the start followed by 20km of flat roads. Just before Millau we rode under the Viaduct de Millau which is an amazing suspension bridge for the autoroute over the Tarn gorge. After an early lunch stop in Millau we had a 10km re-warmup on flat roads before climbing basically for the rest of the day. The toughest part was at the beginning with 10km of 7% average. We had great weather for most of the day but another thunderstorm hit late in the day. I was lucky enough to make it in before the rain because I did not have any rain gear with me. We are here for 2 nights with optional rides or a rest day tomorrow. As long as the weather is good I will ride but I plan to take a rest day later in the trip. Total distance today was 85km with 4000ft of climbing.

Getting ready to launch this AM.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Checkout this bike. It is an “Open” made by the original inventor for Cervelo. They have 1X components with 42 chain ring and an 11 speed cassette with an 11/42.
Heart 0 Comment 0
On the roads through the Tran gorge.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A panorama of the Viaduct de Millau. It is 350m (1,155’) high.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Another view with the Tarn gorge.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Me at the bridge.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Leaving Millau after lunch.
Heart 0 Comment 0
As we start to climb out of the gorge.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We rode up that road in the foreground and eventually we above the town in the distance.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The poppies on the high plain were beautiful.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Checkout this structure. I am not exactly sure what it was used for but the stone roof is amazing.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Meyrueis as I rode down into the town today.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 85 km (53 miles)
Total: 938 km (582 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0