Riquewihr: Rest day - France - CycleBlaze

May 31, 2018

Riquewihr: Rest day

Today was a rest day in the beautiful village of Riquewihr rated one of the most beautiful villages in France. The resident population is only about 1200 but it expands dramatically in tourist season. The slopes here have the best growing conditions for Alsacien wines many of which have the Grand Cru designation. There are over 100 wineries in this village alone from very small to large. One of the largest is Dopff Irion which we can buy at home. We took the rest day to heart and rode the tourist train around town and into the hills. The best part of the train was hearing some of the history of the town and region. After the train we wandered to town and the girls went to the torture museum in the tower of torture. The guys just sat out in the sun so they don’t know what is in store for them. Mid afternoon we relaxed with some wine and cheese in the courtyard before dinner later in the evening. We are off to Obernai via Ribeauvillé and Andlau tomorrow and sadly it may be in the rain.

This villlage is famous for its signs that explain for what the various establishments are known.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A panorama of the Riquewihr valley from the hill above the town. The weather today was overcast with a few showers.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Another view of the village.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The train in which we rode for the tour.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We tasted all three of these wines. I bought the reisling.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Colleen at the tasteing.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A timbered home in Riquewihr.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our hotel called l’Oriel. A “oriel” id the bay window prominent on homes of the more affluent.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our bikes locked up outside the hotel which sadly is not under cover. We had a thunderstorm last night so they got a little wet.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A family run business that makes nice table clothes, napkins and tea towels.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Another example of the colourful timbered buildings in town.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Dolder a 25m tower built in 1291 part of the medieval walls.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Another colourful building inside the walls.
Heart 0 Comment 0
One of the many family vineyards in the village.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The most common form of torture in the torture tower in the Middle Ages.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The outer gate with the a draw bridge.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This cutie was sitting on the wall just watching us.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The boys waiting for the girls while we toured the torture museum.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The original sign made locally in 1639.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Late afternoon snack in our hotel courtyard.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Followed by a game of wizard.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The girls having fun with the wine barrels.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0