Orpierre to Digne-les Bains: Knackered - France - CycleBlaze

June 19, 2018

Orpierre to Digne-les Bains: Knackered

Today was the 4th day in a row of long and hilly rides so by the end of the day I was completely knackered. It was another beautiful ride just long and hard. Again we were in a part of Provence I had not seen before called Haute Provence which borders the alps region. At one point we could see snow capped peaks in the distance. We rode 115km with 5600’ of climbing. There were 3 cols on the route each with its own challenges. The first came early in the ride and was about 5km long at an average grade of 6-7%. We then had some long downhill and flat sections to Sisteron where we had lunch. This is a place where one could spend some time. Next came the really long (25km) climb. It probably averaged only about 4% but there were signs at each km giving the average for the next km and the highest was 8%. It took us over 2 hours just to ride this section. Lastly there was one more 5km climb that culminated at the 92km mark of our ride. Each of these climbs was followed by nice descents with hairpin turns so I am very thankful for my disc brakes. Needless to say when we got to hotel we were ready for our dirty beer. We are in Digne-les-Bain for 2 nights and I plan to take it easy tomorrow other than finding a bike shop because I think I have worn out my brake pads.

At the top of Col #1 in my new cycle jersey.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Down in the Méouge gorge valley.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Passing through a short tunnel.
Heart 0 Comment 0
An old Roman bridge over Méouge.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A cycle bronze in front of this unusual rock face as we approached Sisteron.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We crossed this bridge as we left Sisteron.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Sisteron with a well preserved fort of the hill.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The start of the long climb. These signs were place at every km along the way.
Heart 0 Comment 0
his large, vertical stone face with its Roman incription dating to the first half of the 5th century is also considered Le mystère de la pierre écrite (or the Mystery of the Written Stone). The Pierre-Ecrite is located in narrowest part of the gorge of the "défilé de Pierre-Ecrite", a narrow valley along the Jabron river northeast of Sisteron.The stone itself is not a mystery. It is well authenticated as being a 5th century text by Claudius Postumus Dardanus, with the help of his brother Claudius Lepidus. Claudius Dardanus was an influential man. A friend of Emperor Honorius, and is known partly for his correspondence with Saint Jerome.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The view of the valley from the top of the 3rd climb.into We rode down into this valley to Dignes.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A panorama of the valley.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The third and final Col at the 92km mark.
Heart 0 Comment 0
At the top of the long climb.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The profile for the long climb.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The profile for today’s ride
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 115 km (71 miles)
Total: 1,532 km (951 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0