Nolay to Chateauneuf: A redundant climb - France - CycleBlaze

June 6, 2018

Nolay to Chateauneuf: A redundant climb

After a night in a very basic but clean hotel in a tiny village we set off for Chateauneuf. We left the wine region of Burgundy and headed to the hilly farm region home of the famous Charolais white beef cows. It was a very pleasant ride with a couple of challenging hilly sections. We finally managed to get our timing right for a local market where we bought some beautiful vegetables, hummus, olives, fruit and of course bread. I had a bottle of Burgundy red left over from last night. We had our last picnic lunch at a lovely quiet spot. After lunch we carried on to our hotel however there was a glitch. We all thought that we were staying in Chateauneuf so we climbed the rather long hill only to find out we were staying in a neighbouring village down the hill. Once sorted we found the manor house in which we are staying the night. We have the whole place to ourselves and each of the rooms is amazing will full amenities. This is truly a special place to stay and we are here for 2 nights. To top it off the manager kindly drove us to the next village 5km away to find wine and snacks for happy hours for the next 2 days. Tomorrow is scheduled for a loop ride but we have all decided not to ride and instead walk back up to Chateauneuf and wander around. This will be a nice change in pace for our legs.

A Charolais bull, I picked a bad day to wear a red jersey.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A chateau we passed along the way.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A contrast in eras the tower in a century’s old chateau and a modern power generating windmill in the background.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Just came down a great descent to cross the river Ouche.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The river ouche again.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Divine Ms M has become a bread hauling machine.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A bunch of local guys chewing the fat over glasses of wine at 10AM.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The best picnic ever with fresh food from a local market.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Taking a brief pause after another climb.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Chateauneuf to which we climbed.
Heart 0 Comment 0
On the way up.
Heart 0 Comment 0
More up.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This village is among the most beautiful villages in France.
Heart 0 Comment 0
My room.
Heart 0 Comment 0
My room from another angle.
Heart 0 Comment 0
My beouf borgingnoin/beef burgundy.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 59 km (37 miles)
Total: 755 km (469 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0