Meyrueis loop: Trevezel Gorge - France - CycleBlaze

June 13, 2018

Meyrueis loop: Trevezel Gorge

At the recommendation of our leader Glen we opted to ride down into the Trévezel gorge. It was a loop ride of 68km with 4000’ of climbing. It started with a 10km climb of 6-7% where we reached a plateau for several km. At about 20 km we started down a 12km descent that Glen calls his favorite descent in France. It was a gentle enough grade, good road and with gentle curves that you can mostly just let the bike run. There was the occasional tight turn but only occasional. Once down we rode along the gorge with some spectacular scenery. Of course what goes down must go back up ergo we had a 12km climb out of the gorge at an average grade of 6% up to another plateau. The day started cool and calm but the wind came up once the sun came out so we bucked a headwind most of the way back to our hotel. The wind was gusty up on the plateau averaging 15mph with gusts to 25mph. When the weather was suspect this morning many opted to just hang out all day in the village and hotel. My plan is rest on Fri when in Mende which is a much bigger place than here. We missed the regular lunchtime since we didn’t start until 10:30 and there was nothing in the gorge so we waited until we were back in Meyrueis. Still nothing was open but a young woman in one restaurant that was actually closed took pity on us and made us pizza with beer. We were saved.

We stayed in Chateaux Ayers the last 2 nights so the next few photos are from there. Every self respecting chateau has to have a deer head mounted on the wall.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our dining room.
Heart 0 Comment 0
One of several lounges.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The exterior.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This is an Austin Martin driven by a British couple who road tour around the world with another fellow who was here with his 1965 Jaguar.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Their latest tour.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Some of their previous tours. Can you say buckets of 💷💷💷.
Heart 0 Comment 0
My room is the one with the open window.
Heart 0 Comment 0
My first Col on this tour.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Judy and Norm with whom I rode today coming down the amazing downhill stretch.
Heart 0 Comment 0
One of many views of the gorge.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Norm and Judy riding through the gorge.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Cantobre France with the gorge. Note the precarious position on the right side.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A view of Cantobre from the other side.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Who knew there were bison farms in France.
Heart 0 Comment 0
On the meadow there were amazing wild flowers. Sadly this photo only gives a hint of the beauty.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 68 km (42 miles)
Total: 1,006 km (625 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0