Marckolsheim: A trip down memory lane - France - CycleBlaze

May 20, 2018

Marckolsheim: A trip down memory lane

Again this morning the weather was suspect and just as we were going to get ready to ride the rain came. I don’t like riding in the rain most of the time but I especially don’t like wet cobblestones that you find in every village. It is too early in my trip to risk crashing on wet roads. Consequently we all bailed and went on a tour of a museum on the Maginot Line in Marckolsheim followed by a trip down memory lane from our time in Germany. We couldn’t resist visiting our former residences, one of H&Cs favorite restaurant and of course the town of Lahr. The latter has changed a lot since our time but it was not as bad as I was expecting. I sure hope to get on my bike some more or my upcoming tours are going to be painful. The biggest concern at the moment is a potential train strike that could disrupt our tours.

Cycling route signs forthe wine route and the Euro cycle route 5.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The line up at the local bakery this morning at 7:30AM. The bakery is closed Monday so we just had to have a pain au chocolat for breakfast.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A view up the street of Andlau this AM including the Andlau castle on the hill to which Carol and I climbed a few days ago.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Wine and Crémant of Alsace, water of life.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A memorial inside the bunker.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Hilary exiting the bunker. The bunker at Marckolsheim the south end of the Maginot Line which was a fortification against a German invasion. In WWII the Nazis went through neutral Belgium thus bypassing the Maginot line.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A cycle group on the German side of the Rhine.
Heart 0 Comment 0
H&Cs residence while in Germany. They lived on the main floor.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Jules residence, she lived on the top floor.
Heart 0 Comment 0
H&Cs favorite chicken restaurant in Wahlberg.
Heart 0 Comment 0
My residence in Sulz. I lived in the level just above the grey paint which is ground level in the back.
55 Weingartenstrasse Sulz.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our parking spot is so tight Hilary has to climb out the back of the vehicle. Most of the time we park in the church parking lot.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The famous chicken meal.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0