Guebwiller to Riquewihr: Four beautiful medieval  villages - France - CycleBlaze

May 30, 2018

Guebwiller to Riquewihr: Four beautiful medieval  villages

If this was a cycling race you would call today the queen stage not because of difficulty but because of the beauty. We were on the road for 7 hours but only covered 58km because we stopped to enjoy coffee twice, another picnic lunch and tour on foot 3 of the beautiful villages. The 4th we are staying in for a rest day so we will explore more tomorrow. The terrain was fairly flat until one big hill at the very end as we approached Riquewihr. Because it was such a long day and very hot this hill was harder than it should have been. I will let the photos speak to the beauty.

Miles and miles of vineyards can be seen in all directions.
Heart 0 Comment 0
That is my bike on the ground. I did not crash I placed it there to climb a wall for a photo op.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Circling quiet roundabouts is a great way to regroup.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The fountain in Eguisheim with the church in the background. There are 3 stork nests on the roof tops and at least one has chicks.
Heart 0 Comment 0
One of many beauty signs denoting the business,
Heart 0 Comment 0
It is great to have an architect on the tour he spotted this wall that shows the various stages of construction. A timber frame with stones, mud and straw in between or cement patches in the modern era covered in plaster before painting. Not much wonder they last hundreds of years.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The gang in Eguisheim.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This stork was drinking in the river when I spotted him.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Entering the village of Turckheim.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The old well in Turckheim.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Riding through the vineyards into Kaysersberg the birth place of Albert Schweitzer.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Exploring Kaysersberg this time by bike .
Heart 0 Comment 0
Kaysersberg castle on the hill and lovely building in the foreground.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The sign says dangerous descent so you know it is steep. We rode up it in the last 5km of the day.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The daily ritual of an after ride dirty beer.
Heart 0 Comment 0
My dinner of bull, yes male cow covered in a purple cabbage gravy with vegetables and frites.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We passed the Ritter chocolate factory so we had to stop and buy a little treat much of which melted in the hot sun.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A stunning window flower box. These are everywhere.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Why stand when you can sit and why sit when you can lay down.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The gang approaching Kaysersberg.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A funky little building in the middle of 2 streets.
Heart 0 Comment 0
More lovely timbered houses.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A group photo at our picnic spot in Eguisheim.
Heart 0 Comment 0
It was drizzling when we went out to dinner so I borrowed Joan’s sou’wester to keep the rain off my glasses.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 58 km (36 miles)
Total: 535 km (332 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0