Chateauneuf: Rest day - France - CycleBlaze

June 7, 2018

Chateauneuf: Rest day

As mentioned yesterday we are staying in a country manor that was clearly a home for the wealthy in a by gone era. Christopher would love this place with all of the antiques and stuff (clutter in my book) in each room. I am sure glad that I don’t have to do the dusting. Nonetheless it is beautifully quiet and peaceful, just what you need after a long day cycling. The internet is again a bit suspect but with 2ft thick stone walls what can you expect. We collectively decided to pass on a ride today rather we opted to walk back up to Chateauneuf as a change for our leg muscles. We also found and alternate route to Dijon so we don’t have to climb up here a third time just to ride back down. The new route maybe a little longer but it is a nice flat ride along the canal de Bourgogne. I am also totally ok with it because I will have LOTS of climbing on my next and last phase of my trip. I wandered the village and I use that term loosely this AM and discovered the grave from 1943 for an RAF aircrew who were probably shot down in this area and buried in the church cemetery. I found it because of the Commonwealth Graves sign on the wall. We walked back up to the castle in the AM and then I had a lovely nap before dinner after all that is what rest days are for.

The manor in which we are staying.
Heart 0 Comment 0
One of the rooms in the manor.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The lounge in the manor.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
The bike route we will follow to Dijon.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The graves for the RAF crew, lest we forget.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The village church.
Heart 0 Comment 0
It was foggy this morning.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Feeding time.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This is the route we walked up to the chateau about 2km from our hotel.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The girls on the way up.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A model of the chateau that dates back to 1493.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The view from the top.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A panorama of the valley below.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The castle at night.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Again
Heart 0 Comment 0
Dessert
Heart 0 Comment 0
The husband and wife owners of the restaurant
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0