Portland, OR - Big Eddy Park, OR (near Vernonia): Can it be true? This trip is finally starting! - Four Weeks in Oregon and Idaho - Summer 2006 - CycleBlaze

June 10, 2006

Portland, OR - Big Eddy Park, OR (near Vernonia): Can it be true? This trip is finally starting!

Miss Type A is ready. These three are still packing.
Heart 0 Comment 0

I was wide awake at 5:15 AM, chomping at the bit. I had given everyone the talk about starting early at least this day in order to get out of Portland before the traffic started up. Today was the Rose Parade, although we were located in the wrong part of town for traffic to be an issue for us.

I finally gave up and got up. We had oatmeal for breakfast. It took a bit of doing, but we got our BOB's outside and loaded up. Actual departure was 7:38 AM with a temperature of 58 degrees. Don's computer has a the temperature. I like that.

It took us only four miles to get out of town, following the Bicycle Portland map. Very easy, no traffic. We were passed by a paceline of road bike riders near Suavie Island where delicious strawberries are grown. A short distance down the road, the riders were stopped along a side road with their bikes leaning against the guard rail. This was obviously the official bathroom stop as they were all taking a leak over the edge. I wanted to stop and take a photo of them so neatly lined up, bikes and all. I resisted the temptation.

These are pancakes made for touring cyclists!
Heart 0 Comment 0

20 miles and 40 feet elevation gain (my GPS) later we were in Scappose for a second breakfast at Ichabod's. This was obviously the place to be Saturday morning. They were jam packed. Jacinto and I ordered omelettes and an order of pancakes to share. We didn't realize quite how large the pancakes were . . . .

We stopped at the market for dinner goods. This would be our last store before camp. We ended up at the dollar store next door that had great prices but no fresh produce. Our other option was to backtrack a couple of miles to the super market. We all wanted to get down the road, so we made do with the dollar store. Jacinto and I had a can of chili with Udon noodles. It was an interesting combination.

Don and Ann were much faster cyclists than us. They were off down the road. This was a great backroad heading towards Vernonia. The forest was heavy and green with lots of moss on the trees. The road was very quiet after we passed the residential area. Jacinto kept commenting on how green the trees were compared to our Colorado trees. I told him it was all of the rain that made things so lush. He asked how much we'd have to water our trees at home to make them so beautiful. I didn't think it worked that way.

Our first night camping. $14. per site at the very nice Big Eddy Park near Vernonia. Notice our prominently placed Sling Light chairs. They were perfect for lounging around on the evenings we got to camp early enough to lounge.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We had one good climb, just enough to make our dinner taste good. I guessed the wrong gear and had a little twinge in my bad knee the rest of the day. Luckily that went away. Later in camp Jacinto and Don agreed that it was quite a difficult climb. It's an interesting change of perspective, but both of the men were not as experienced of cyclists as Ann and I. I think they both suffered from performance anxiety. Jacinto and Don both did fine. They just needed to get a few days riding under their wheels to help them gain some confidence.

We saw many, many flowers along the way. It was 2.9 miles from the intersection of Hwy. 47 to Big Eddy's Campground. We were to camp fairly early. Since this was our first time bicycle camping together we fumbled around some trying to form a routine. We set up the tent, showered, and then prepared dinner. We got much more efficient, but kept the routine in that order. The shower's were very nice and located close to our site. Camping was $14. which we split with Don and Ann.

We had carried two stoves with us in order to prepare those gourmet meals I had promised Jacinto. Tonight wasn't going to be so gourmet. Ann and Don's stove used a cylinder and it ran out of fuel. We leant them our extra stove for the evening. We sat around chatting after dinner.

Jacinto was very sad about not having a pop to drink. He wandered around the campground, wanting to approach some of the other campers about buying a soda, but didn't have the nerve. Finally, late in the evening our neighbors offered us some firewood. Don was quick to reply that we were going to bed soon, but we'd love to buy a soda. They didn't have cola, but 7-Up. We gave them a couple of gold dollar coins, which was a novelty. Jacinto didn't end up drinking the soda because he wanted a cola. Hard to please, isn't he? : ) Don and Ann did share a coffee bag (just like a tea bag, except coffee) with him, but that didn't satisfy him either. I'm glad I don't have a caffeine addiction!

Today's ride: 43 miles (69 km)
Total: 43 miles (69 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0