Rio Simpson (near Villa Los Torreones): Heading into the wind - The fourth step ... Patagonia etc - CycleBlaze

January 18, 2018

Rio Simpson (near Villa Los Torreones): Heading into the wind

If we had cycled to Rio Simpson yesterday we would have been pushed along by a string tailwind. Today the wind was from the opposite direction so we had to work a little harder until the last seven kilometers or so when we turned inland and got the wind on our backs. At 13 kilometers the road split with Ruta 7, the official Careterra Austral heading inland to Coyhaique as a ripio road, while we veered right towards Puerto Aysen which was concrete. This route is a bit longer but it seems to be the one that everyone is taking.

Heart 0 Comment 0

Once again the road provided us with some spectacular vistas. I'm worried that we might start taking them for granted.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

We past a few cyclists going north. The only one to whom we spoke were a young French couple who enthused about the campsite to which we were heading and on our arrival there it was clear why they enjoyed it. It has by far the best facilities of any campsite we have seen so far with the most amazing common area - it's too smart to be called a refugio - and the owner, Nacho, throws in a talk on the Gaucho culture and a demonstration of making mate as part of the package. At 6000 CLP per person it is 50% above the going rate but well worth it. Nacho is from Madrid but his wife is of Gaucho background and he is in love with their culture.

The common area at the Rio Simpson campsite
Heart 0 Comment 0
Mate with Nacho
Heart 0 Comment 0
Mate with Nacho
Heart 0 Comment 0
We even got a bit of music from Nacho
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 51 km (32 miles)
Total: 555 km (345 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0