Puyuhuapi: My first fjord - The fourth step ... Patagonia etc - CycleBlaze

January 12, 2018

Puyuhuapi: My first fjord

It rained quite lot through the early hours of the morning. We were glad to be under a shelter. It was still pretty cold when we woke up and we took our time to get going. First of all to the mercado to pick up some supplies then down the road to Puyuhuapi. The road was alphalto to start off with but turned to ripio with about seventeen kays to go. There were a few rough patches - it is the loose gravel that it the worst. All in all it was a relatively easy and stress free ride.

Into a headwind but at least it was on asphalto
Heart 0 Comment 0

We passed quite a few cyclists who were heading north - only one of them stopped for a chat and some didn't even acknowledge our greetings. The one who did stop was a Frenchman and the weirdest part of our conversation was that it was all in Spanish because that was the language we had in common. What it really meant was that he chatted away and I tried to decode what he was saying.

Today's views were subdued because last night's rain was struggling to let go and we had grey skies, a cold headwind and the occasional shower during our ride. On our arrival in Puyujuapi we headed for the first campsite we spotted called Rio Mar. By the time we started putting up the tent - under a nice shelter - the heavens opened properly. The campsite, one of many in the town, is probably the best organized that we have seen so far. The tent sites are under shelter although they are rather small and we overflow slightly into the one next to us. Thankfully there are only two other tents up. The bathrooms are great with lovely hot water and, best of all, there is a an old wood stove which we can use for cooking and keeping ourselves warm during the evening.

The kitchen area at Rio Mar
Heart 0 Comment 0
Supper on an old wood stove
Heart 0 Comment 0

Puyuhuapi is at the top of the Ventisquero Fjord, the first real fjord I have ever seen.

Ventisquero Fjord
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 47 km (29 miles)
Total: 352 km (219 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0