Puerto Natales: The real end of the line - The fourth step ... Patagonia etc - CycleBlaze

February 21, 2018

Puerto Natales: The real end of the line

We enjoyed the breakfast included at the hospedaje and set off in a southerly direction for Puerto Natales just after nine o'clock. As we were leaving town we spied a Patagonian Fox hanging out around the police station - an undercover agent ?

Patagonian fox outside the police station
Heart 0 Comment 0

The wind that was supposed to help us on our way today was sadly lacking. That is until we hit the first jink in the valley when it suddenly came up with a vengeance but from the wrong direction ! In the end the road to Puerto Montt was a long battle with the side winds coming from the west.

It was cold and raining when we got into Puerto Natales and we sought a restaurant where we could find shelter and a hot meal. A big bowl of meat and veg soup did the trick for me while Leigh settled on some salmon. Then it was off to find the campsite which was done quite easily. It is busy but there is sufficient space in the refugio and the internet connection seems OK. We will park off here and sort out ferry bookings, work and rest until catching the boat back to Puerto Montt.

Puerto Natales is the most southerly point of our ride through Patagonia so we made sure that the celebratory bottle of wine sported the appropriate label.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 67 km (42 miles)
Total: 1,781 km (1,106 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0