Puerto Montt: Waiting for the weather - The fourth step ... Patagonia etc - CycleBlaze

January 3, 2018

Puerto Montt: Waiting for the weather

We spent yesterday evening in the shared kitchen of the hostal with a South Korean couple who are a month into a three month backpacking trip through South America. They are a bit older than your average backpacker - probably ten years younger than us - and reminded me a bit of Leigh and I before we started traveling by bicycle. They are trying to travel three months every year which means that they had to resign their big city jobs and live a simpler, more indeterminate life in a country village. This is a big change from the South Korean stereotype of hardworking company workers (who often only get a weeks leave per year).

Today was forecast to have heavy rain so we are sitting it out at the hostal. We still need to get a few things done before we head south tomorrow. The morning was spent working while the rain chucked down. By lunchtime it started to abate and we cycled down to the mall to get our groceries for the next few days. By the time we came out of the mall it was positively balmy with a hint of blue skies.

A view of the bay at Puerto Montt from outside the mall
Heart 0 Comment 0

It also gave us a chance to take in some of the graffiti and street art on offer.

The translattion as per Google is "A friendship does not grow because of the presence of people but because of the magic of knowing that even if you do not see them, you wear them in the heart."
Heart 0 Comment 0
Not so sure about this one.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Back at the hostal, we sat staring at the pile of stuff we will have to cram into our panniers tomorrow. It seems such a lot into very little space when I guess it is really not much at all. Right now it hardly looks possible.

By five o'clock the skies had cleared a lot and there were larges swathes of blue sky. We went for a short walk through the neighbourhood which got all the dogs agitated, both amongst themselves and with us. Hopefully this good weather will carry through to the next few days.

Today's ride: 4 km (2 miles)
Total: 29 km (18 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0