Near Agrelo: Accomodation challenges - The fourth step ... Patagonia etc - CycleBlaze

March 16, 2018

Near Agrelo: Accomodation challenges

With Gabriel.
Heart 0 Comment 0

After a leisurely breakfast and saying goodbye to Gabriel, we made our way up to the bicycle shop to replace the front brake cable on Leigh's bike. Then it was back down the eastern outskirts of Maipu before cutting westwards across its southern parts and across Ruta 40 to make our way south to Agrelo. After crossing into La Campina we had to stop to allow an enormous convoy of Harley Davidsons to pass. There were riders from all over South America so it must have been quite an important rally.

Harley Davidson parade.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Vineyards with the Andes in the background.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Agrelo is home to the Chandon Bodega, a sparkling wine specialist owned by the French company of the same name and was the reason we had chosen this route foir today. A quick look on iOverlander and Booking.com showed nothing in the line of camping possibilities or cheap accommodation so we thought we would look around when we got there to find somewhere to stay. It is not much more than thirty kilometers from Maipu so we were in no rush. Cycling through the village showed nothing that looked like accommodation and the only thing nearby that we could find on Maps.me was a guesthouse at a finca about six kilometers away.

So we set off for Finca Garciaren. It was a lovely looking place. More expensive than we would have liked to have paid but if they had been able to accommodate us we would have. Unfortunately, with only four rooms, all of which were taken, we had to find somewhere else. Nicholas, the young man at reception, was incredibly kind, suggesting we use their wifi to look for an alternative and making a few suggestions. We even got a jug of cold water to quench our thirst (it was about thirty five degrees outside). Using Booking.com we found a cabana, Vista Bella, about ten kilometers back towards Mendoza an made the booking.

After arriving at Villa Bella I then had to ride back into the nearest town to draw some extra cash because they didn't accept credit cards. I also needed to pick up some food because we had left Maipu without stocking up. Having a whole cabana to ourselves meant we had a proper kitchen so I picked up some steaks which went well with the appropriately named wine I got to accompany them and to make a toast young Archer's birth.

A wine with which to celebrate Archer's birth.
Heart 0 Comment 0

On the way back to the cabana I bumped into Mauriso from Mexico who was on his way back to Mexico from Ushuia to where he had ridden from Mexico. He had just come over the Andes on the route we might take and was able to provide some info on it. His route would take him to Uruguay before heading north to Mexico. He looked pretty tough and gave the impression that mountains and big climbs were his bread and butter.

With Maurisio.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 66 km (41 miles)
Total: 2,268 km (1,408 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0