La Calera: From the sublime to the rather tatty - The fourth step ... Patagonia etc - CycleBlaze

March 30, 2018

La Calera: From the sublime to the rather tatty

Leigh's cold took a turn for the worse last night and she spent a lot of it sitting up in bed because she couldn't sleep lying down. Her cold and swollen glands have hung around since Bariloche, three weeks back. I have pretty much recovered completely. Normally it is me who sniffs and snorts for weeks on end.

After a pretty standard Chilean breakfast at out hotel we headed out south-westwards. We kept to the back roads the whole way but even some of those were quite busy. However, we did have either a good shoulder or a segregated cycle path for a lot of the way. With the route being downhill it was once again undemanding and, with it being through the countryside, a rather pleasant ride.

Rural traffic calming measures
Heart 0 Comment 0

La Calera supposedly had a few accommodation options. The first one we passed wasn't even worth stopping for while the second was even worse - a motel with a logo portraying an amorous couple and promises of a jacuzzi suggested a different type of night from what we were looking for. We back tracked down towards the centre of town and booked into the Oasis, more as a result of us getting tired of looking for somewhere to stay as opposed to it being suitable. First step on checking in was to have the bathroom cleaned, although it was still filthy once it was handed over to us. None the less, the internet connection is pretty good and the room is relatively quiet. All that we are looking for today is for Leigh to rest and hopefully recover.

Today's ride: 70 km (43 miles)
Total: 2,725 km (1,692 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0