El Calafate: Chill time (plus a bit of work) - The fourth step ... Patagonia etc - CycleBlaze

February 17, 2018

El Calafate: Chill time (plus a bit of work)

We have had a good rest over the past three days in El Calafate. We've walked a lot more than we are used to - our lodging a bit out of town and the town has a few sharp hills - but we are mentally refreshed.

Valentine's Day dinner
Heart 0 Comment 0
Valentine's Day dinner
Heart 0 Comment 0
Valentine's Day dinner
Heart 0 Comment 0

Our first full day here was spent getting some work done. In the evening we enjoyed a belated Valentine's Days meal at a typical (from a tourist perspective) Argentinian Patagonian meal of Cordero a la parrilla con ensalada y patatas frittes con una vino fine (the wine was only fine when compared to what we have been drinking over the past month and a half).

The next day we hoped to hitchhike to the Perito Moreno glacier, which is apparently and easy thing to do. Well, after walking about ten kilometers and trying to catch a lift for almost two hours, we found ourselves back at our lodgings licking our wounds. I guess if we were younger and better looking things might have been different. In the end I went to the bus station and forked out one thousand two hundred pesos for a bus trip to the glacier the next day.

And that's what we did today - have an awesome experience at the Perito Moreno glacier. On top of the bus fare the entrance fee is another five hundred pesos per person but it was worth every one of them. I was blown away.

Perito Moreno Glacier
Heart 0 Comment 0
Perito Moreno Glacier
Heart 0 Comment 0
Perito Moreno Glacier
Heart 0 Comment 0
Perito Moreno Glacier
Heart 0 Comment 0
Perito Moreno Glacier
Heart 0 Comment 0

In an amazing coincidence, as we disembarked from the bus once back in El Calafate we walked straight into Jillian and Jay who had just exited the station building to board their bus to Puerto Natales. What a lovely chance to catch up with them again.

Today's ride: 14 km (9 miles)
Total: 1,499 km (931 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0