Cochrane: Still resting and working - The fourth step ... Patagonia etc - CycleBlaze

January 31, 2018

Cochrane: Still resting and working

We've had a really easy day. A bit of work, some grocery shopping for the five days ahead and lots of relaxing. We've Skype'd the kids and chatted to the grandchildren. Now it's time to ride. I think we will be rested enough to tackle the road to Villa O'Higgins and I'm starting to champ at the bit.

We went for a short walk around the town later this afternoon. As we were stepping out of the hostal we bumped into a young Aussie cycle touring couple, Gillian and Jay, who had arrived here on Aaron and Rob's recommendation. They were planning on resting at Trudy's Hostal Sentral for a couple of days before tackling the road to Villa O'Higgins. According to them, Hostal Sentral has a bad reputation on ioverlander.com because of Trudy's perceived gruffness. In actual fact, she seems quite shy and becomes warmer and more accommodating the more you spend time with her. We have nothing about which we can complain during our stay here.

Supper was al fresco in the back yard of the hostal - chili con carne that tasted as if it had been made at Schoenmakerskop. A bottle of Carménère, a varietal almost unique to Chile, washed it down.

The clinkered wooden tiles that are a common building technique in Patagonia.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rural cottages in the middle of Cochrane.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rural cottages in the middle of Cochrane.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The little tin add-on that has been our home for the last few days.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Al fresco chili con carne and a bottle of Carménère (wine glasses courtesy of Trudy).
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0