Chaiten: Ferry to Raul Marin - The fourth step ... Patagonia etc - CycleBlaze

January 8, 2018

Chaiten: Ferry to Raul Marin

Today was, for all practical purposes, a rest day because we were booked on the 11pm ferry to Raul Marin, free because it is a replacement for the closed road between here and Santa Lucia. We had a late lie in before I wandered down to the mercado to buy some pan for breakfast. We got all our laundry done, researched a bit for the days ahead and caught up on emails, social media and the news. It is my daughter's birthday tomorrow so we called her on WhatsApp because we knew we would be out of comms for the next few days. We spent some time cycling around the town and got a bit of birdwatching done. All in all a very restful day. Importantly, we stocked up on food and should now be good for three days between towns. The key is to stay well stocked.

The campsite was pretty full of younger travelers from various countries and we enjoyed hearing of their experiences and travel plans. This trip has provided a lot more opportunity for us to talk to other travelers, which we have really enjoyed.

At about five o'clock we had a shower, packed up the tent and wandered into town to wait for a restaurant to open. Supper was bifstek a la pobre, loosely translated as poor man's steak, which turned out to be what would be called steak, eggs and chips (French fries, pommes frittes) in South Africa. It turns out that a la pobre could be almost anything with fried eggs and chips. Apart from the free Spanish lesson, it also came with a half bottle of quite decent red wine so we felt quite pampered.

Then it was off to the ferry where, much to our surprise, cyclists and motor cyclists were the first to board which meant we could find a good seat indoors to spend the night. The only other cyclist is the Venezuelan chap we met at the ferry in Hornopiren a few days back. There are a number of familiar faces on board - folks who were on the earlier ferries and whom we have seen on the road.

Chaiten lies beneath its volcano
Heart 0 Comment 0
The ferry to take us to Raul Marin
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 8 km (5 miles)
Total: 217 km (135 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0