Mutant Mosquitoes? - Grampies Go to Florida Spring 2015 - CycleBlaze

February 2, 2015

Mutant Mosquitoes?

When we cycled in Germany, we got in to the swing of World Cup Soccer frenzy.
When we cycled in Hawaii, we empathized with the people over the possible lava destruction of Pahoa.
In Seattle, we followed the SeaHawks as they "threw away" the Superbowl.

Now (soon), the Florida Keys, and here is what we read:

Look out, mutants are coming to the Florida Keys. Mutant mosquitoes, that is. Millions of them.

In an internet post somewhere, someone wrote that they have never ever seen a mosquito drop dead from, for example, Permethrin. But hey, suicide prone mutant mosquitoes?

Based on Jerry Witherspoon's current blog we were looking in Cabella's yesterday for more, and more powerful insect repellent. This page about repellents seems to have good guidance.

Our worst cycling experience with mosquitoes was in Manitoba. We are hoping that, as we read somewhere, most mosquitoes in the Everglades are in the Bahamas for the winter.

Getting ready to fly

As we are waiting for our shuttle to get the cycle trip rolling at 3 a.m. tonight, we made a visit to Avi and Violet's school. In the playground they have a map of the US painted on the pavement. So the topic came up as to where we are flying to. With a bunch of kids following, we flew cross country (layover in Houston!) to Fort Lauderdale,(cycled around Florida), then up to Montreal, back back to Seattle. However in the photo you see Dodie piloting the kids around Europe. They did make it back, though even on the playground you can see how far these distances really are! We hope to make a reappearance in the Grade 1 Science class with a presentation on organisms of the Everglades.

Flying offshore, heading back to North America!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Yikes, Florida is way out there, looking back toward Seattle!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0