Last Week: Mapping Panic - so what else is new? - Grampies Go to Florida Spring 2015 - CycleBlaze

January 25, 2015

Last Week: Mapping Panic - so what else is new?

As I sat down to record where we are at with this trip, I thought a good title for the page would be something like "Last Minute Panic". But then I remembered I have used that before. In fact, looking casually back through our past blogs, the words "panic", "maps", and "freak out" seem to appear in pages before each departure. This applies equally to our first blogs and to our later blogs.

Does this mean we have learned nothing over nine previous trips? Well not quite. In our first blog, "last minute freak-outs" of course did feature. But we were freaked out over questions like how would we find our way, what gearing to use, and should we have panniers or trailers. By now, we have all the answers for that stuff. So what could be the problem now?

I think it is just that with cycling, even if you set off with well thought out gear, good maps and GPS, spare food, gaz, water bottles, etc. it is never exactly all that easy (unless maybe you are in Netherlands). The challenges take the form of busy roads, absence of camping places, absence of motels or having only expensive motels, and shortage of water in some stretches. The thing about these challenges, as compared to bad weather, hills, or long distances, is that you (think) you can get around them back home in the office, with clever routing, use of Trivago, Booking.com, etc., Warm Showers, ACA or other cycling maps and guides, etc. So that sets up the conditions for freaking out in front of the computer for days prior to a trip.

No doubt a lot of cyclists set off with just a crude map and general direction. When the day ends, they find a hidey hole off a side road and camp. Simple. But we are willing to bet most cyclists put in a lot more effort than that. We sure do.

With four "Packing Days" left before the circle of Florida, we have it sort of figured out. That is, we have a plan for where we might go, resupply, and sleep for each of the days. Unlike with Hawaii, we are gambling that (except for the Keys) the State is both developed and undeveloped enough that we will find what we need somehow, even if our plans foul up (which they are likely to do).

Likely to foul up or not, we will still be writing it all down neatly. Once that is done, we will be ready for the fun to begin. We hope!

Freak out central. This is a very common photo in our blogs and others.
Heart 0 Comment 0

P.S. Waitaminute! Some readers might wonder at the choice set out above, between a happy go lucky approach, with one raggedy miscellaneous map and a stealth tent vs. days of planning and plotting. These readers might say, whoa, Adventure Cycling Association (ACA) has three routes that run all through Florida, and for these routes they have maps, GPX files, and listings of camping and motels. So what's the beef?

Here's the beef:

  1. The maps and descriptions are hard to follow. The maps are seldom oriented north/south, and the fine print descriptions of the many jigs and jogs are impossible to read while cycling.
  2. Unlike the European "Bikeline" books, the GPS files do not snap to the roads. So the GPS files are only a general guide.
  3. The routes are chosen according to mystery criteria, and often bypass clearly "better" ways to go.
  4. Only one or two places to stay are listed in many towns and the criteria for these is also a mystery. It clearly is not low cost or cycle friendliness.
  5. Routes are not chosen to deliberately run through places with good camping or lots of bikeways.
  6. In terms of reaching accommodation or services, routes are not geared to cyclists who can do varying distances per day, or the length of days Summer to Winter. So they can leave you stranded in the middle of "nowhere".

In many parts of America, where lots of services are lacking and where good or safe cycling roads are scarce, the ACA weaknesses are critical. On the other hand, maybe there is no way to do a much better job. Sitting at our planning desk, though, we always try.

Boy, some people are never happy!

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0