Day 44: Healing Begins - Grampies Go to Florida Spring 2015 - CycleBlaze

March 18, 2015

Day 44: Healing Begins

What a relief to see the Canadian flag flying over our local hospital. The caregivers in America were great, but because of what we know to be the sky high prices, the complicated billing system, and the machinations of the insurance companies, we were terrified about any relapse (re-dislocation) or the need for any kind of further treatment whatsoever.

But now, in our home country and province, a single swipe of my "Care Card" would bring any and all services with no paper work or charges. We know that we are paying for this through taxes, and we know that through our lives we have so paid for everyone and anyone in our society that needed help. The thing is, we and most Canadians are terribly proud of that, and we will pay for others, and vice versa, to the end.

Another difference, probably just because our town is smallish, Dodie was in the booth with the tech, watching the new set of xrays come up onscreen. Then the doctor invited us behind the counter to give the analysis of what she was seeing. What she saw was that the fracture is a straight line, with no displacement, and the shoulder is back properly in its socket. Conclusion? Well tomorrow I will go see the orthopedic surgeon, but basically it's ok to start moving the joint gently.

Yup. it's a shoulder.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Anatomy lesson, with the conclusion - looks good!
Heart 0 Comment 0

I tried it, there in the hospital, but got nowhere. No problem, they said, it will come. Best of all, it's ok to take off the brace for short periods, and for example, try having the arm just hang down normally. Then, without using any muscles, I could lean slightly and make the shoulder move. Wow. Did you catch that? "Take off the brace"! That also means potentially wash. With real water!

Dodie has gone off just now for a tetanus shot, and tomorrow will get a going over from her doctor, especially the still sore back. But she seems ok.

I asked the doctor how long until I would be back on my bike. Her answer was cautious. First, she was leery of dropped handlebars. No problem there. Then she pointed out the increased vulnerability to dislocation, should I fall off the bike. Silly doctor - I never ever fall off a bike, unless pushed.

All in all, of course, we'll have to see. Healing has to be finished no later than the end of July, or we'll miss a season. But it looks like healing will be under way. Starting now!

Freakout. Cyclist just leaving a no shoulder piece of our route home.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0