Day 29: Homosassa to Ridge Manor to Dunnellon: Recumbent Central - Grampies Go to Florida Spring 2015 - CycleBlaze

March 3, 2015

Day 29: Homosassa to Ridge Manor to Dunnellon: Recumbent Central

Today's Ride. Note Homosassa over to the west - that is where we hopped to and back by car.We are now poised a little south and west of Gainesville, but we will soon pass by there and be heading for St Augustine on the east coast.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Our batteries were significantly recharged by our stay with Ed and Nancy. This was not only the lots of showers and good food, but literally the chance to check out our physical batteries and charge all our stuff. A really big boost was our spin south in the car to Best Buy, to replace the ailing bluetooth keyboard. This text is coming to you courtesy of the latest incarnation, for as long as it survives!

Ed and Nancy dropped us near the beginning of the Withlacoochie State Trail, at Ridge Manor. At least they tried to drop us. The really great bike rack that held our bikes nicely for the various trips decided to not let go, at the last minute. It took some thinking and some force to release my bike from its iron grip. It was good that Ed had a box of tools and tricks that achieved this.

We said goodbye to Ed and Nancy, the customary and unavoidable "kiss and cry". We are happy though, because we have made some new friends, and hey maybe we and they will be back here next year.

s som methods for the rack that will not relinquish my bike
Heart 0 Comment 0
The kiss and cry, but we'll be baaaack!
Heart 0 Comment 0

Once on the trail, we were immersed into a social system and culture that the trail has. There are a lot of users, and it is customary for people to greet and talk to each other. What's more, the number of recumbents - whether trikes or significantly, the Easy Racer style and make of two wheel long wheel base models, was very unusual.

We started out primed to just basically bumble along on our own while absorbing the natural surroundings. But all kinds of people came upon us and rode along for a while. In each case, of course we asked andd answered the usual questions. But there were some unusual questions and discussion too. Probably the most extensive was with Harry Vandenberg. Harry had specifically moved to this area (with his wife Mary) because of the trail. Now he rides up and down it daily. Harry has also been active in cycling advocacy and issues, and has had lots of contact with State planners and with the administration of the Withlacoochie Trail. So we took the opportunity to list our three major beefs about cyclingin this area: Shoulders that disappear when a road enters a town, marked bike lanes that disappear suddenly with a "Bike lane ends" sign, and tinted windows permitted on cars, preventing us from seeing if the driver sees us.

As we also talked about the wonderful Withlacoochie trail, Harry mentioned that many bicycle advocates would not actually support trails like this. Rather, they insist that bicycles have a right to the main roads, and would work for greater bicycle safety out there. That includes things like training cyclists in survival techniques. We, and Harry, are much stronger advocates of separate bikeways. Sharing roads with two ton behemoths is really a distant second choice.

We came to a bit of disagreement, though, when we said we favour having ebikes on the trails, while having a speed limit that applies both to them and to the lycra clad speed demons in peletons. Harry loves this trail so much he would not take a chance on allowing anything even vaguely motorized (except for very slow devices for disabled people).

When we reached Floral City, the mid point of the trail, we perched in a covered shelter to eat our "cat food" (chicken pate with crackers). Harry joined us, and soon we were surrounded by other cyclists. It's not that we attracted them, it was jsut that there are so many out there, that the shelter filled up. Naturally we had a great time talking to these fellow peddlers, and looking at their bikes.

We continued, and eventually said goodbye to Harry, who turned around and headed back to his home. As we neared the end of the trail, we came upon Roger (or vice versa). Roger lives in Dunnellon, and also routinely rides up and down the trail. We had planned on the staying at the interestingly named Dinner Bell motel in Dunnellon, but Roger thought it could be run down, and guided us to the Twin Rivers. The Twin Rivers turned out to be (or also be) a pretty tired property, but it is fine. Anything with a shower, bed, roof, is basically fine. This one also has a toaster, but alas we have no bread.

Riding the Withlacoochie was a really fun experience. In the southern part there were cypress swamp bits, and it was a great mixture of car free natural environment, with the bonus of running occasionally through small towns with bike shops, ice cream, and such like. The trail is 74.5 km in length, which is not bad. It was created in 1989 when the rail right of way was sold to the State. Apparently one can learn more and buy a guidebook at www.railstotrailsonline.com.

That length of 74.5 is just a little longer than we thought, and our own distance today of 68 km is just a few more than we thought it would be. Dodie reacted to this by declaring exhaustion at 60 km. No problem, though. I just turned on our new b-assist system and zoomed us to the end. Tomorrow we are on-road, so no b-assist. oh, oh!

Many of these suspended webs adorned a field near the start
Heart 0 Comment 0
One of our first "visitors" was from Ontario, but was born in Denmark. When I showed the sticker on my handlebar bag from Fynshav, in Denmark, he revealed that his mother lives there. small world!
Heart 0 Comment 0
This poster helps establish the spirit of the trail.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Once again we are enjoyng the sights of a cypress swamp
Heart 0 Comment 0
Another swamp view
Heart 0 Comment 0
We understand from Ed that Augie Jacksson is a very senior long time trike rider on the trail.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Here come the trikers!
Heart 0 Comment 0
These folks had one of the common (for here) Easy Racer models, plus one other make. Easy Racer seems to have 90% of the market for this style of bike.
Heart 0 Comment 0
More trikers
Heart 0 Comment 0
Harry and his recumbent
Heart 0 Comment 0
A large, split cypress in the swamp.
Heart 0 Comment 0
There are two bike shops in the 65 km of the trail. Note the bike style portrayed by this one.
Heart 0 Comment 0
At the Floral City rest stop
Heart 0 Comment 0
A tee shirt worn by someone at the rest stop
Heart 0 Comment 0
Bob Butterfield and Harry. Bob rides a tandem, says his wife is a stronger rider than he. He has also converted two tandems to e assist, using a retrofit centre mounted unit that adapts to a standard bottom bracket. Bob spends the summer in Mesa, Az, where he says the dry heat allows you to cool off with a wet shirt - unlike here.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Bob models his DaBrim.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The ever slow Grampies are greeted by the rest of their turtle family at Inverness
Heart 0 Comment 0
Steve tried out a long wheel base recumbent. It seemed very uncomfortable at first blush.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Reminiscent of eis cafes in Europe!
Heart 0 Comment 0
The banana split came from this diner in Hernando. Note the 50's style sign - probably original.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We cross the Withlacoochie River, at Dunnellon
Heart 0 Comment 0
Roger shows the way!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Inb front of the Two Rivers Inn. We have encountered several Blues Brothers representations in our travels.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 68 km (42 miles)
Total: 1,460 km (907 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0