Day 7: To Maupin city campground - Florence - Missoula - Salt Lake City 2013 - CycleBlaze

August 7, 2013

Day 7: To Maupin city campground

The temperature only got down to 65F overnight. Much warmer than nights in the Cascades. I got on the road at 8:20 after a huge breakfast at the cafe 200 yards from my campsite.

Deschutes river below Pelton dam.
Heart 0 Comment 0

The day's ride started with a short ride past Pelton Dam. Then a steep climb to get out of the canyon followed by a gentle descent to cross the Deschutes river at the "town" of Warm Springs. The no-traffic county road ends at US 26, where I turned left (northwest). US 26 is busy because it's the main route from Portland to Central Oregon, but it does have a shoulder.

Heart 0 Comment 0

There isn't much of a town at Warm Springs. Casino, gas station, restaurant. That's about it. The residents seem to mostly live in the countryside. But the tribe has a lot of economic activity with a huge lumber mill, industrial park, tribe-owned utilities, etc.

Casino in the town of Warm Springs.
Heart 0 Comment 0

On highway 26 I saw two loaded recumbent cyclists going the opposite direction. After 4 miles on busy US 26 I turned right (north) on Agency-Simnasho highway, also known as Indian Road 3. This road goes through the middle of the Warm Springs Indian reservation. I was surprised that it has a decent paved shoulder even though traffic is light and there is basically no development. The road climbs a big hill overlooking the town, then descends north to cross the Warm Springs river in a scenic canyon.

Looking down from Eagle Butte towards the Warm Springs river.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Warm Springs river and Agency-Simnasho highway.
Heart 0 Comment 0

I never saw it, but 1.5 miles downstream from my river crossing is the large and luxurious Ka Nee Tah hot springs/casino/golf resort.

A very big climb begins after crossing the Warm Springs river. First, climbing past Mutton mountain. Then continuing to climb through Indian Head canyon which is unfenced and has a large number of semi-wild horses.

Mutton mountain.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Wild horses on Mutton mountain. They always run away when I stop.
Heart 0 Comment 0

The landscape looks very volcanic and more red than most areas in the Cascades.

Looking back at Mutton mountain.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today I had my first views of Mt. Hood during this tour. Air quality improved greatly as I traveled north. Smoke isn't much of a problem now.

Today's route has several views of 11,240 foot (3406m) Mt. Hood, the highest peak in Oregon.
Heart 0 Comment 0

I took a long lunch stop in the village of Simnasho, a remote Indian village with about 150 residents. The store's billboards advertise a deli, but they didn't have a deli. So I had a frozen burrito. The shade and air conditioning were much appreciated.

Semi-famous abandoned church in the village of Simnasho.
Heart 0 Comment 0

After Simnasho is another climb, this one so big that it's forested with junipers and a few pines near the 2800 foot summit. Fortunately the sky became partly cloudy, so it wasn't extremely hot. During the descent I had my first view of Mt. Adams.

My first view of 12,281 foot (3720m) Mt. Adams 100 miles north in Washington. Excellent visibility.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

The no-traffic back road ends at the village of Wapinitia, connecting to highway 216. I turned east on highway 216 towards Maupin. 10 miles to Maupin with a strong tailwind and not much traffic. I got groceries in downtown Maupin which is 200 feet above the Deschutes river.

View of the Deschutes river canyon from Maupin. I will pedal that road tomorrow morning.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Looking into the sun at the Deschutes river below Maupin.
Heart 0 Comment 0

I camped at the Maupin City Park campground which is across the river from the town. $28 for campsite, shower, and tax. My campsite was only 20 feet from the Deschutes river. Unfortunately my campsite was adjacent to a noisy group of young Girl Scouts. In the evening I had a long conversation with a couple visiting from Illinois (where I lived before moving to Oregon). A couple of trains went through during the night, directly across the river with wheels squealing alarmingly on the sharply curved track.

Campsite next to the Deschutes river in Maupin City Park.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today was a long difficult day. High of 95F with basically no shade. Headwind when going north. Longer distance and more climbing than any day of the tour so far...

Distance: 64.9 miles (104 km)
Climbing: 3680 feet (1115 m)
Average Speed: 9.4 mph (15 km/h)

Today's ride: 65 miles (105 km)
Total: 358 miles (576 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0