Day 18: Rest day in Missoula - Florence - Missoula - Salt Lake City 2013 - CycleBlaze

August 18, 2013

Day 18: Rest day in Missoula

Today I want to rest as much as possible. I slept until 10:30, then had lunch a few blocks away at Tacos del Sol.

Later I tightened spokes and gave the bike a good inspection. In the afternoon I biked across town to the REI store to buy a pair of SmartWool socks. I went there on roads and came back as much as possible on the bike trail along the Clark Fork river. The trail was busy on a Sunday afternoon. And I could see several people recreating in the river.

Clark Fork river and the University of Montana.
Heart 0 Comment 0

I biked east of downtown into the University of Montana campus. The trail has signs explaining how the bike trail was a railroad until the 1970's. It's hard to imagine what it was like when trains went through the middle of the city. The river is a much more desirable place to visit without the trains and train tracks.

Missoula county courthouse.
Heart 0 Comment 0
My motel is next door to the Missoula Post office.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Downtown Missoula.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Downtown Missoula.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Theater entrance.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Bikes are everyday transportation in Missoula.
Heart 0 Comment 0

In the evening I used Goop adhesive to repair my de-laminating sandal soles. The sandals need to be retired after this tour.

I biked across Montana in 1989 and notice something has changed since then. Montana had no casinos in 1989, but now every little town has multiple casinos. The casino market seems over-saturated.

Today I achieved my goal of resting and taking care of maintenance and repairs. In the evening I just rested in the room. I should take rest days more often.

Distance: 10.1 miles (16 km)
Climbing: 76 feet (23 m)
Average Speed: 10 mph (16 km/h)

Today's ride: 10 miles (16 km)
Total: 933 miles (1,502 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0