Day 3 - Sparwood to Pollock Creek Campsite - Fire On The Mountain - A Small Section of the Great Divide Ride 2021 - CycleBlaze

August 29, 2021

Day 3 - Sparwood to Pollock Creek Campsite

Newtons Law Applied to Roads

In classic Canadian road touring fashion, we got up fairly early, packed up and left the hotel, and then rode a few km's to Timmy's for breakfast. Some things just don't change.

It was a glorious morning though. Not a cloud in the sky, which meant that at 7:30 in the morning in the Rockies it was cold! After consuming our standard Timmy breakfast bagel w/ coffee (L) and tea (K) and getting a sandwich to stuff in our panniers for lunch, we were on our way by 8:30.

The next part of the route is the 'Flathead Alternative' to the regular GDMBR. The regular route continues south, more or less paralleling Hwy 3 and then 93 south to the US border. The Flathead route is further east and hugs the actual divide south through the Flathead valley before turning west just a few kms north of the Canada/US border.

After that little geography lesson, that means we headed east along Hwy 3 towards the BC Alberta border to start. It was a relatively flat 12 km ride along a surprisingly busy Hwy 3 to the Corbin turn-off. We then headed south along the Corbin rode, a paved road in great condition that leads to the now abandoned Corbin mine and the similarly abandoned ghost town of Corbin. Since this road also parallels the train tracks that run (ran?) to Corbin, it's a consistent but very gentle 2-3 % climb. Great road, clear blue skies, temperatures rising, absolutely no  traffic, the day is off to a great start.

As usual I'm stopping to take a few pic's and Kirsten's getting quite a bit ahead of me. I see her pull over and getting her phone/camera out. Oh great, she's probably setting up to get a picture of me riding in this beautiful setting! Once I get about 100 m away from her, she packs her phone away and starts cycling away, completely oblivious to my existence. A bit perplexed, I pick up the pace and catch up to and ask her why she pulled over.

Roadkill. A fresh deer carcass in the ditch that was now almost fully consumed, eg. ribs fully cleaned off . I now know where I stand in the photo pecking order.

She did pull over a little bit later to take a sympathy shot of me.

In short order we were in Corbin and although listed as a ghost town, there were still a few people living there, and the mine, although no longer in operation, has not been fully reclaimed so there was still a lot of infrastructure and some activity at it. Corbin also represented the last of the 'easy riding'. We were now 'off pavement' and 'off grid' for the next few days.

The impact of this was immediate. Within the first 100 m of heading south on the Flathead forestry road we encountered foot deep muddy ruts filled with water. There are obviously a LOT more trucks and ATV's using this road than bikes. 

The road conditions improved a bit after a few km's but the muddy ruts were replaced by rough 'mother nature's cobblestones'. Ten km's of this brought us to the summit of what I'm calling Flathead pass, and then we had a 17 km 'run' down to the campsite at Pollock alongside the Flathead river.

You generally think of downhills as carefree riding where you can take in the views and just enjoy the moment. The pic's later will dispel those notions!

Although the day was beautiful, cloudless sky, perfect mid 20's temps, no wind and no 'nasty' bugs, the road conditions were the anthesis of the Corbin road. This is the reason for the slightly cryptic sub-title for the day. Perfect smooth pavement for the first half of the day.  . equal and opposite reaction for the second half!

A good portion of the downhill road had over the years turned into the main course of the creek running down from the pass. Although the water is not deep, it's there, and in the spring is brings along a whole bunch of bowling ball sized rocks which it deposits along the 'road'.

Given that we did have ideal weather conditions and this was the first time we've encountered biking like this, it was kind of a fun adventure. Tough going (we were faster going up than down!) but doable and fun .. for the first time.

Adding to the adventure aspect, it was pretty clear that we were on our own too. We did have two ATV's come by just as we were having lunch near the summit of the pass, and we did see one lone tire tire track along the trail. Other than that, no other evidence of humans! Not much for big wildlife either. We did see a few deer on the Corbin road, but once getting onto the flathead it was just more Blue Grouse .... and thousands of butterflies. Pic's to follow and we think they were Green or Hoary Commas.

The campsite at Polloack recreation site was wonderful. It's right beside the Flathead river and has 5 well spaced out sites. We were the only people there so we used one for cooking, one for sleeping and the furthest away one for caching our food.

And the food .... a great home cooked, dried and then rehydrated, Pasta Norma with a few Hob Nob's for dessert. 

We managed to have a not-too-cold wash in the river and we retired early for a great night's sleep.

Heart 0 Comment 0

SOTD - Shake Rattle & Roll by Big Joe Turner ... this pretty much sums up the ride down from Flathead pass

Who needs lawn ornaments in Sparwood?
Heart 1 Comment 0
CPR snow-plows waiting for their moment along Hwy 3 east of Sparwood. In a few moths they will be in full swing
Heart 1 Comment 0
Beautiful morning heading east from Sparwood along Hwy 3
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heading up the very quiet Corbin Road (three vehicles over ~20 km). It was a few hundred metres down the road when I saw K pull over to take a picture ... of what I though would be me happily pedalling along ....
Heart 1 Comment 0
But no, this is what caught her fancy!
Heart 1 Comment 0
Sympathy pic
Heart 1 Comment 0
These guys are in much better form .. along the Corbin road. No issue with the train tracks, they haven't seen much use for over 20 years.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Final approach into Corbin.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Beautiful riding.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Nearing Corbin ... overburden tailings give the man-made sculpted look to the environment
Heart 1 Comment 0
Off the grid from here.
Heart 1 Comment 0
A few people are still living here. Nice area and not that far from Sparwood or Coleman in Alberta
Heart 1 Comment 0
Now abandoned buildings in Corbin
Heart 0 Comment 0
Newton having his first go at us!
Heart 2 Comment 1
Mike AylingChallenging!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Quite pretty when you were out of the trees and able to look around
Heart 1 Comment 0
Today's fauna .. same as yesterday but these guys were much braver and ventured quite close to us.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Bill ShaneyfeltLooks like a grouse.

https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Ruffed_Grouse/id
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Apparently he's ticked that I'm riding on his road!
Heart 0 Comment 0
One more sympathy pic. That's my quota for the trip
Heart 0 Comment 0
This was a good portion of the ride from Corbin. Quite rough going.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Lunch at the summit of the pass. We had been hauling our chairs along for the last two days but they came into their own here!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Pretty wildflowers at our lunch stop. No idea what they are ... any help out there?
Heart 0 Comment 1
Bill ShaneyfeltPearly everlasting

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anaphalis_margaritacea
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
... and the butterflies. They were everywhere. Literally thousands of them along the ride today.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Bill ShaneyfeltComma
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polygonia_c-album
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
The creek has decided that the road is a good place to go too. We had this for a few km's
Heart 1 Comment 0
More Type II fun!
Heart 1 Comment 0
... and another butterfly 'bunch' . They were like this every few hundred meters
Heart 0 Comment 1
Bill ShaneyfeltA bit out of focus, but that black one in the upper right might be a mourning cloak.

https://trekohio.com/2013/04/04/the-mourning-cloak-butterfly/
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Type II fun's not over yet!
Heart 1 Comment 0
Unloaded full suspension mtb... no problem. Touring bike? Get off and push.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Finally back riding on the last section to Pollock
Heart 1 Comment 0
Riding but still rough. You had to stop to be able to enjoy the beautiful surroundings.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Crossing the Flathead river, Campsite is on the right side of the bridge. Day 3 done!
Heart 1 Comment 0
Very nice campground that we had to ourselves
Heart 1 Comment 0
Bikes doubling as drying racks
Heart 0 Comment 0
getting ready for dinner
Heart 0 Comment 0
Pasta Norma .... it may not look like much but it was great!
Heart 2 Comment 0
Food and cooking gear slung away for the night.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 67 km (42 miles)
Total: 186 km (116 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0