Oudenaarde: sitting it out - A Flanders Fling - CycleBlaze

June 6, 2017

Oudenaarde: sitting it out

Yesterday, not yet knowing when I was going to get to see a doctor, we booked a second night in Oudenaarde. We chose to move from our hotel to a B&B that was less expensive. The decision to stay another day was premature since I was able to see a doctor the same evening, but staying in Oudenaarde had an advantage - strong winds and some downpours made it a good day not to be out on the road.

Our B&B is on the other side of the Schelde - here we are waiting for the road to return. When a boat, here a barge, passes through on the Schelde, a whole section of the road is lifted. It takes quite a while for the road to be lowered again and open for traffic. This is repeated several times in the course of the day.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Oudenaarde's town hall and construction siteI'm hoping they aren't turning the square into a parking lot for cars. But I doubt it since the trend now seems to be to ban cars from city centers.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltThat's a beautiful town hall.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
The gusty winds blew over the signs, and even if it were a tailwind it might have been unpleasant to be out on the road. We saw many branches on the path the next day.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A day for rain jackets
Heart 1 Comment 0
The apotheek or pharmacy where I had my prescription filled.
Heart 1 Comment 0

We took advantage of the extra time and stormy weather to visit the Centrum Ronde van Vlaanderen, a fun and very well done museum where the history of the Tour of Flanders is told from its start til present day.

Outside the museum Centrum Ronde van Vlaanderen
Heart 0 Comment 0
There were films and many interesting exhibits.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Beauty of the bicycle
Heart 1 Comment 0
Lots of interesting exhibits in the museum
Heart 1 Comment 0
T-shirt souvenir - Ride like a Flandrien
Heart 4 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 0