Munich - Dusseldorf: traveling by train - A Flanders Fling - CycleBlaze

May 23, 2017

Munich - Dusseldorf: traveling by train

It was an afternoon train so we had plenty of time to fidget before we had to leave. We were impatient and were at the train station too early - what difference does it make where you wait, we thought. And the train was an hour late - so it was a long wait.

We're off!
Heart 1 Comment 0

When we finally boarded we found the bicycle car was already packed, would there really be room for two more bikes? With some effort we managed to squeeze our bikes into the spaces we had reserved.

Lots of bicycles on this train!
Heart 1 Comment 0

The train compartment was filled with a jolly group of cyclists who got on the train is Austria. Loud and good-natured, they passed the time with stories of past adventures while they consumed many boxes of cookies and bottles of fruit juice and soda. And we hadn't brought a single thing to eat! How silly of us. Fortunately, we were able to buy some sandwiches (not very good ones) in the train restaurant, and we did have the sense to bring some water.

Part of the time the train followed the Rhine. We had great views of its hills and vineyards and castles. Hey, why were we going to Belgium? Cycling the Rhine Bike Path looked like a great idea.

The train pulled in to the Düsseldorf station at 9:15 p.m. I wasn't interested in food anymore, I just wanted to get to our room. We were in a big city and it was dark. Now to find the hotel. Actually it was an easy five-minute ride, I had the route on my Garmin, and when we arrived we were met at the door and shown immediately where we could store our bikes for the night.

And here we are. Our bicycles are locked up in the parking garage.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Hurrah, we made it!

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 0