Last pre-Flanders Fling: to the south - A Flanders Fling - CycleBlaze

May 18, 2017

Last pre-Flanders Fling: to the south

What a gorgeous day! Haven't had weather like this for ages so we were off for a bike ride, probably the last before we pack up for our trip. Our route took us through the English Garden, across the Isar and then to the south for a change.

Can't get enough of that sun.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The Menopteros in the English Garden
Heart 1 Comment 0

Our destination was a pleasant beer garden (of course), Kugler Alm, which you reach on a peaceful bike path through the Perlacher Forest. That is, after you cross through Munich. I experimented with a different route through the city today, not too successfully. Maps can be so deceptive. We ended up on streets with too much traffic and some tram tracks, which I hate. Next time we'll do the tried and true. There are pleasant and easy routes out of the city, I just wanted to try something different. But once we reached Perlacher Forest, we had a smooth, straight and flat ride, no cars far and wide.

Flat, paved, straight and a little boring
Heart 1 Comment 0
Kugler Alm beer garden
Heart 0 Comment 0

Janos was responsible for the route back and it was much nicer. We did have another straight bit but soon enough we reached the lovely bike path along the Isar into Munich.

Flat, paved, straight and boring - but at least we don't have to share the road, so I am thankful for these bike paths.
Heart 1 Comment 0

While we were pedaling along, we heard some brass band music coming from somewhere along the river. Soon we saw where it was coming from - a raft party was traveling downstream. Raft parties with live music and plenty of beer are popular in the summer months. Rafting on the Isar dates back to the 12th century when the river was a main artery between north and south for transporting lumber and goods downstream. It wasn't much of a party, though, as it was rough and dangerous work. Although rafting in its original form came to an end in the 19th century, the rafts today are built the same way as they were 100 years ago.

Rafts traveling downstream, with brass band and beer, very popular.
Heart 2 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltThat's a HUGE raft!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Musicians in their Bavarian lederhosen taking a rest
Heart 1 Comment 0
Raft passing under the railroad bridgeNotice the little outhouse on the raft.
Heart 2 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltNice to include having an outhouse on the raft!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
The bridge has two levels, the upper is for trains, the lower for cyclists and pedestrians.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heading back to Munich
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 38 km (24 miles)
Total: 180 km (112 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0