Getting Fitter for Flanders: on a ride to four lakes - A Flanders Fling - CycleBlaze

May 13, 2017

Getting Fitter for Flanders: on a ride to four lakes

I wanted to add some variety to our day rides around Munich. We seemed to be always taking the same routes out of Munich and back and that was getting pretty boring and not at all motivating. Since we live on the west side of Munich, I picked some spots to the east where we don't usually cycle. On the computer I planned a route to four lakes. It was simple enough to follow using the Garmin. With paper maps we probably wouldn't have found all the little bicycle lanes and paths. Anyway, that's the way I like to do it. It was a fun outing and it felt like we were far away.

Are we in Belgium yet? Out on new paths and it feels like we could just as easily be in a foreign country.
Heart 2 Comment 0

We rode through the English Garden, over the Isar, past the horse race tracks in Daglfing and after about 12 km we reached the first lake on our itinerary, Heimstettener See. The sky was full of white billowy clouds, and here and there a dark grey one. The lake was a brilliant green and the little beer garden was almost empty.

Our first lake, Heimstettener SeeThis and the next lake came into existence thanks to the excavation of gravel for highway construction when the abandoned quarries filled with water.
Heart 1 Comment 0
In the summer it will be crowded, but today it was a peaceful scene.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We were about to get on our bikes after lunch when I felt a drop of rain, a minute later it was pouring. Weren't we lucky ducks not to be out on the road yet. We took shelter at the beer garden until the rain stopped. We didn't have to wait long and were soon on our way to the next lake on my list.

It stopped raining and we are hoping the rain clouds will move on.
Heart 0 Comment 0
It wasn't long before we had blue skies again.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We got a view of the Alps again today!
Heart 3 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltThe snow-covered Alps are beautiful. :)
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

I hadn't expected we would be on such pleasant paths cutting across fields of rape seed and other crops that weren't far enough along to identify. The rural countryside was interspersed with larger commercial buildings which take advantage of real estate prices which are cheaper on the fringes of Munich than in the city itself. They aren't attractive and I carefully avoid them in my photos. My views of the ride are selective perception - but isn't all of life.

We arrived at Feringasee, again such a pretty lake, so serene, which is now resting up for the summer onslaught of bathers. Here there is a large beach reserved for nudists only, and it's jam packed on a warm summer day. I read in the Internet that this section of the lake welcomes up to 30,000 visitiors on a summer weekend.

This is Feringasee, the second lake on our route.
Heart 2 Comment 0

Our loop now headed further west and we were soon cycling in the more familiar landscape on the Isar. We could almost ride home from here blindfolded and not get lost.

We are getting closer to our home territory and have often ridden our bikes to this lake, Poschinger Weiher, third lake for today.
Heart 3 Comment 0
The photo bomber from the previous picture.
Heart 2 Comment 0

It's an easy pedal back, but first we wanted to visit a little lake in Munich, Schwabinger See. It was an element of the landscaping for apartments built in the 1980's. It is a surprising bit of country in the city, but not quite the real thing. The water was murky and the view was to some more apartment buildings not too far away.

Fourth and last lake of the day - this little artificial lake, Schwabinger See, was part of the landscaping for an apartment block.
Heart 2 Comment 0
A family outing, and my, aren't the children getting big!
Heart 1 Comment 0
Public art keeping an eye on my bicycle.
Heart 1 Comment 0

From there it was a short ride home. A great day.

Riding into the sunset - well, afternoon sun. This is a selfie. I put my camera on the ground and set the 10 second timer.
Heart 3 Comment 0

Today's ride: 38 km (24 miles)
Total: 142 km (88 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0