Brussels - Oetingen: on the road again - A Flanders Fling - CycleBlaze

June 4, 2017

Brussels - Oetingen: on the road again

We were eager to get on our bikes again but there was just one more thing that we wanted to do before we left Brussels. Many years ago Janos dealt with antiques and came to Brussels regularly to shop at its famous Jeu de Balle flea market. He hadn't been back in more than 30 years and wanted to take one nostalgic look before we left town. He was curious if he would find a familiar scene - or if perhaps there would now be some sort of modern day flea market that had nothing in common with his memories? He was a bit apprehensive and perhaps that was why he put it off until our last day. It was a sunny Sunday but not too warm, perfect for a stroll at the flea market. So before we retrieved our bicycles from their safe storage, we walked the short distance to Place du Jeu de Balle.

The flea market sells a variety of things ranging from second-hand clothes to jewelry, books, cutlery and china, glass, lp's ... you name it.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Just another selfie
Heart 1 Comment 0
African traders are new to the scene since Janos was here last.
Heart 0 Comment 0
I have quite a collection of African masks now - in camera, actually in cell phone. That way I could more or less unobtrusively capture a number of these masks with their intriguing expressions.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Basically the atmosphere of the flea market was the same as in the old days.
Heart 0 Comment 0
If I weren't traveling by bike and limited by the size and weight of my panniers, I might have purchased a few things.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Janos was very happy that he had returned to an old haunt after all these years and wasn't disappointed. We could now leave Brussels. But since we hadn't planned a long ride for today, we had plenty of time to dawdle on our way back to the hotel and take pictures before we got on our bikes.

Overpass for the train line, near the flea market. I noticed the rivets here which were also an important design element in Art Nouveau.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Second-hand bicycles for sale
Heart 1 Comment 0
A mountain of mint at the fruit and vegetable market, not far from the flea market.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Ready to roll
Heart 1 Comment 0

Leaving Brussels was much simpler than entering. The streets were quiet as it was Sunday and within a few kilometers on bike lanes we were on the bicycle path following the Canal Bruxelles Charleloi. It was was wonderful to be on our bicycles again and it was a lovely ride all the way to Halle, a pretty town that we wanted to visit.

We were here on the Canal Bruxelles Charleroi in no time.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A drawbridge along the canal.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We had this fantastic path, and tailwinds, all the way to Halle.
Heart 2 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltA nice path and tailwinds - can't beat that! :)
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

From the canal we made our way to Halle's main square. Today they were celebrating the founding of Halle and I was really excited when I saw that part of the festivities was an accordian concert which was now in progress. I like the accordian and have dabbled at learning to play it - but I must admit I am not sure that I am crazy about it in an orchestra made up exclusively of accordians.

The main square in Halle
Heart 1 Comment 0
We were in time for a concert, an accordian concert.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltCool idea to have an accordian concert! Bet it was good?
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
That's a lot of accordians.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We left Halle and the canal and headed for the small town of Oetingen where we had a room we found through the organization Vrienden op de Fiets. The ride was through lovely farming country, a little hilly and no traffic.

Open countryside
Heart 2 Comment 0
Fields of flax
Heart 3 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltWhat a great photo! Love the flowers!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Wonderful roads
Heart 0 Comment 0
Getting close to our destination
Heart 0 Comment 0
Say yes!
Heart 2 Comment 2
Charmaine RuppoltLove this advertisement!! :) I'm definitely happily married to my bikes! :)
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

We arrived in the early afternoon. Our hostess Ria was waiting for us and showed us her home, the spacious garden that we were free to use and our room on the first floor. Everything was modern, functional and in good taste and the personal touch was welcome after many days in hotels. Ria explained where we could go for a reasonably priced evening meal - democratic as she called it - which was a 20-minute walk on a small path through the fields and between horse paddocks.

When we returned, Ria was sitting outside at a small campfire and invited us to join her for a glass of wine. I couldn't imagine a nicer finish to the day.

Today's ride: 33 km (20 miles)
Total: 503 km (312 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 5
Comment on this entry Comment 0