Brussels: last day - A Flanders Fling - CycleBlaze

June 3, 2017

Brussels: last day

We filled the morning with a visit to the 19th century Hotel Metropole, the Galeries Royales Saint-Hubert and the flea market which is held every weekend at Place du Sablon.

A peek into the past Hotel Metropole was one of the first luxury hotels, having electricity and central heating. It is now the only existing 19th century hotel in Brussels. (Wikipedia)
Heart 1 Comment 0
In 1890, two brothers with a brewing company opened Café Metropole as a place in the city to sell their beer. The café was a huge success and the Weilemans-Ceuppens family then purchased the building next-door, a former bank, which would become the Hotel Metropole, inaugurated in 1895. (Wikipedia)
Heart 1 Comment 0
Me sneaking around the hotel with my smartphone The hotel's reception, lobby and lounge are overtly ornate with Corinthian columns, rich furnishings, gilded details, and chandeliers. (Wikipedia)
Heart 2 Comment 0
A photogenic placeGaleries Royales Saint-Hubert, one of Europe's first shopping arcades, was built in 1847, and after almost 150 years still remains a center of grandeur in Brussels.(Wikipedia)
Heart 1 Comment 0
We sampled some of the best Belgian chocolate here at Wittamer's.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Belgian mail box with graffiti
Heart 0 Comment 0
On our walk we again saw Tintin, the Belgian comics hero.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Brussels Bike rentals
Heart 1 Comment 0
The flea market at Place du Sablon is very upmarket, not many real bargains to be found here.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A picturesque place
Heart 1 Comment 0
While standing at the bus stop, I caught a reflection of us in a passing bus.
Heart 2 Comment 0

For the afternoon another Art Nouveau highlight was on the agenda, the Cauchie House. One day a month the Cauchie House is open, and that was today! Built in 1905 by architect, painter and decorator Paul Cauchie, it is one of the most beautiful masterpieces of Art Nouveau. Together with his wife, he designed and decorated the house, and that’s why at the center of the façade, you can see the words "Par Nous – Pour Nous" ("By Us – For Us"). We were taken on a guided tour of the house and saw the many extraordinary decorative elements, including the famous Art Nouveau engraved drawings it houses.

Facade of the house of Paul ChaussieWe weren't allowed to take pictures indoors unfortunately.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Detail
Heart 3 Comment 0
Par nous - pour nousBy us - for us
Heart 3 Comment 1
Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0