Epilogue (and best of...) - Touring buddy go for launch - CycleBlaze

May 23, 2021

Epilogue (and best of...)

Well, tour is over. Time to edit and post the video. As I go through the photos and the video footage, I get to relive the adventure.

If you lasted this far in the journal you're at least somewhat interested. Or, you fell victim to the sunk-cost fallacy and you thought since you put this much time into it it's going to get better. Only you can be the judge of whether you received a positive ROI on your time spent :-)

Epilogue

I was overjoyed to have my bestest buddy do the ride with me and very proud she could make 280-some miles over 5 days of riding. It was a stretch for her and she doesn't put in as many miles as I do on the bike. And yet, she did it. She got into the groove and admitted she really "got into the bike touring thing" midway through day 2. And that was some of the hotter and headwind days. I guess when all you do on a vacation is exercise, eat, look at scenery, eat, shop for food, and eat, and then sleep (like a rock), it's relaxing. Really. Completely takes your mind off of other things.

Academy Awards (Best of...)

  • Lodging. The Springhill Suites in Lakeland. Springhill has a great room floorpan for bikes - you can roll them into the "suite" in the front part of the room and relax in the next part of the room. Also, pro touring tip - always book a room with 2 queen beds so you can sleep in one and spread your stuff on the other bed. In terms of locations, all hotels were pretty-much equal in terms of locations to amenities and eateries
  • Best Breakfast. Downtown Diner in Titusville. The only breakfast we ate outside hotels other than McDonalds, and that was normally a "second breakfast" anyway. Half of the hotels were still serving brown bag take-away due to COVID, but the Fairfield in Orlando did have hot breakfast. Now that I remember, it was pretty good, too. Honorable Mention - Bagel 13 in Titusville. What looked rather plan from the outside turned out to be rather hip inside. You can see us eating breakfast in the place at 2:34 in part 2.
  • Best Lunch. Have to be the Yellow Dog Café in New Smyrna Beach. Fantastic Avocado Chicken salad sitting outside under an umbrella on Canal St. Just a fantastic stop after cruising through mostly paved rail trails
  • Best Dinner. This one's a little tougher. The best restaurant was Harry's Seafood in Lakeland. The best FOOD was the Hamburguesa de Cordero (lamb sliders) in Tapa Toro in Orlando. Just an amazing combination and taste. 
  • Best Day. In terms of scenery, wind, and quiet, Day 5 by far. 30 miles of the route from Titusville to Daytona Beach was rail trails, or just paved trails in general. The trails protected us from the wind, plus we were traveling N and the wind was coming from the E, so it was at our 3:00

Sneak Preview

Stay tuned for the next adventure - planning for the Maine Coast, Cape Cod, MA, to Providence and train home.

Heart 0 Comment 0

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0