21. West of Newport to Sandpoint, ID: Rest and Repairs - From the Olympic Peninsula to St. Mary - The First Bite of the Northern Tier - CycleBlaze

June 2, 2018

21. West of Newport to Sandpoint, ID: Rest and Repairs

Temps at 38 degrees, we moved briskly to finish off the oatmeal, down some instant coffee and Swiss Miss and move out. Knowing we would re-stock in Sandpoint, we were ploughing deliberately through our food bag. We had just a couple tablespoons of peanut butter left, so we made a short stop in Newport, WA for a “pairing with cinnamon raisin bagels,” then rode the State Road dividing Idaho and Washington out of town.

We were now in Idaho but still following the Pend Oreille. The ride in the cool morning air with bright sunshine and few cars was about as good as it gets for cyclists. The morning temp rose to a balmy 65 and we shed clothing appropriately. Our route took us to a really busy highway, US 95, but after a few miles we picked up the bike trail into Sandpoint via a spectacular two-mile long bridge over Lake Pend Oreille. We dropped Jackie's bike at Greasy Fingers Bike N Repair Shop to have a mysterious grinding noise investigated. It wasn’t the derailleur bearing as Scott suspected, but a debilitating case of chain stretch which had created a secondary malady of cassette wear. Tackling the passes with weighty panniers had taken a toll on the bike. Plus it was time for new tires. All fixed up in jiffy thanks to the wonderful repair team who worked while we had a second lunch at the Cedar Bridge Public Market.

We were glad we chose Sandpoint for our rest day. Great pubs and cafes, friendly residents. Our lodging, the K2 Inn, turned out to be wonderful. The owner Sheldon takes pride in his role as “innkeeper,” offering helpful advice and tips on services and attractions in the area. It’s a re-imagined and reinvigorated 1960s-era establishment with a kitchenette at a reasonable price. We saved some $$ by preparing a pasta primavera in our room. The bike shop was four blocks away, a car wash and laundromat around the corner. What's not to like?

On the great wide bicycle path on the bridge over Lake Pendoreille on the edge of Sandpoint, ID. Such a beautiful town.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This is what we do on a down day. Wash the tent ground cloth and our bikes at the car wash.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Or get a little squirrely enjoying the town.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 39 miles (63 km)
Total: 695 miles (1,118 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0