18. Republic to Colville: Cascade Bookends - From the Olympic Peninsula to St. Mary - The First Bite of the Northern Tier - CycleBlaze

May 30, 2018

18. Republic to Colville: Cascade Bookends

Sherman Pass called, and we answered. 17 miles of up, at first following the Sanpoil River, then O'Brien Creek, then the North Fork of O'Brien Creek and then God-only-knows which creek because the USGS topo map we are using doesn't name it, and finally, no creek at all. Just switchback after switchback scrambling up the mountain side. Yep, we arrived at the top. Cool temps ---- 39 degrees in Republic and not a lot warmer four hours later when we reached the top. And so we had frozen smiles all the way down.

The trees around Sherman were like those around Washington Pass and we saw similar waterfalls dancing down rock cliffs. With an elevation just 100 feet higher than Washington, the two passes were like bookends to the scenic Cascade range. Sherman was hard, it’s not easy climbing 3200 feet in 17 miles. Judging by the topo map, Logan Pass will be steeper still, but the same rise, 3200 feet.

We held off on lunch (the rest of our sandwiches from Freckle’s barbecue in Republic) until a historic site commemorating the work of the CCC in the 1930s. We perched on sun-warmed boulders to absorb some of that passive solar gain.

There were only a few trucks on the way up and a few more on the way down. All were courteous, moving half or more out of the lane to give us space. Even the logging trucks. Only in a few spots of S-curves were shoulders lacking. WSDOT gets four stars. They’d get five if they solved those S-curve issues.

We traveled ACA's recommended back roads around Kettle Falls and into Colville. A clean but design-challenged crackerbox motel, the Selkirk Inn, met the minimum - bed, toilet, shower, WiFi.

Dinner at the Pour House with dozens of northwest Washington's brews available to go along with Scott's Blue Burger. Regretfully, he had to choose only one. A crisp Cabernet Sauvignon was perfect to accompany Jackie's salmon burger.

Colville and Kettle Falls, as we read in the local paper, are both dealing with the challenges of small and smallish towns in rural areas. Colville public infrastructure is in good repair with modern wastewater treatment, new sidewalks, good street paving, yet numerous storefronts are empty and for sale in the downtown main street area. It looks like Colville is winning the battle for downtown relevance, but it appears to be a constant struggle.

We saw this sign before the elevation marker for Sherman Pass and knew we had arrived.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Not the same sense of triumph like we felt after reaching the top of Washington Pass. Maybe because we know there will always be higher peaks to scale, this is just another challenge the road places in front of us.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We made our picnic lunch of sandwiches and Gatorade in this meadow with Sherman Creek running through it, close to the bottom of Sherman Pass.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 57 miles (92 km)
Total: 560 miles (901 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0