14. Mazama to Twisp: Easing into Memorial Day Weekend - From the Olympic Peninsula to St. Mary - The First Bite of the Northern Tier - CycleBlaze

May 25, 2018

14. Mazama to Twisp: Easing into Memorial Day Weekend

Leisurely morning in our motel. We had one or two fellow guests. The season apparently starts on Memorial Day. BTW, Mazama is a Verizon town. Our AT&T phones didn't get a signal until Winthrop.

We took a back road part way to Winthrop and then were joined on WA 20 by seemingly every pickup towing a camping trailer in America. We consoled ourselves, and pre-fortified for Loup Loup Pass tomorrow with big ice creams at Sherries in Winthrop. Scott recommends the black cherry.

Stopped for a small bike check-up at Methow Cycle Sport just at the edge of Winthrop. Four thumbs up for this place. Superb service attitude and no fixation on the under-30 crowd.

Only eight miles to Twisp where we washed clothes. 💦🧥 👕👖, caught up on this blog, and spent the night 🛌🛀to marshal our energy for Loup Loup. 🚵

We got an apartment with full kitchen, washer/dryer in room, and shard outdoor jacuzzi at the Twisp River Inn Suites. It probably will be one of the best of the trip. Jackie saw the room on the Internet and booked it without asking the price, which was over $100. (Whoops). At check in, the receptionist asked if we wanted to upgrade for $50 to the suite, Jackie said no, didn’t need a kitchen or extra beds since we were accustomed to camping. So she offered the fancy suite anyway with no additional charge. Breakfast was amazing, homemade quiche, meat and veggie versions, homemade almond scones that were more like a marzipan shortbread, plus the regular array of yoghurt, granola, dry cereal, wonderful coffee and granola bars to, yes, take away. The jacuzzi was a luxury after the hard ride up the passes the day before. Oh, and WiFi was zippy fast.

The “Red Sky at Night” portends well for tomorrow’s ride up Loup Loup.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our living room at the Twisp River Inn Suites. Great place to stay, wonderful food, fast WiFi, for a price.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 25 miles (40 km)
Total: 395 miles (636 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0